netbook... worth it for me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by radfad88, Feb 12, 2009.

1. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

Currently I have a 4 year old Toshiba Laptop (bought as a graduation present) and a desktop I built [edit: a friend built, he might be on here to correct me haha]on newegg that I make upgrades to as I need to (working great and does everything I need it to).

The laptop I have has a bad battery that's been broken for about a year now. Basically it just won't hold any kind of charge, the minute you unplug the power cord the laptop goes black and turns off. It's got a 15.4" screen and is pretty bulky/heavy for my taste. When I bought it it was my main computer but now that I have the desktop I rarely use it because the battery is shot.

I've been looking into these netbooks recently because of their small size and relative low power. I do some traveling and will be doing some military training for 4 months where I can have a laptop with me. I do not want to take this toshiba and obviously can't to bring my desktop.

Basically my question is, what do you guys know/think about the netbooks that are out right now. If I'm looking to spend <$400 for something small and portable, is it worth it? Like I said my desktop is more than efficiant for running any/all programs/software I need and the only thing I would use the netbook for would be internet/email and the occasional word document on the go.

Also what to do with my current laptop? I don't see myself investing any more money into it (buying a new battery) since even with a working battery it is too big for my needs. Do you think I could get a decent price for it on craigslist? ebay? OT YS? Where is the best place?

Help me out! Thanks guys!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I see where Lenovo released one for around that price range.

:wackit:

3. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

Fuck netbooks, look at HP's tx2z line. Form, functionality, a DISC drive, and it's a tablet pc. You could get the tx2500z(the older model) brand new on ebay for like 550$~. The only difference between the tx2500z and tx2z is the tablet technologies and an upgraded matte finish body.

4. radfad88

I don't need/want a disc drive (have one already) and I CERTAINLY don't need a fucking tablet pc. I want to spend NO MORE than $400. Also that notebook i 4.5 lbs which isn't much lighter than the laptop I have currently...

...did you actually read my post?

5. bovine

bovine New Member

I just ordered a Dell mini 9. Its base configuration is $250 w/ 512MB ram and a 4GB solid state hard drive. You can get a 2GB stick of ram for $20 and a 16GB class 6 SDHC card for permanent storage for about $25. That puts you at $295 for a computer with 20GB of solid state storage. After that, you can purchase a replacement Runcore SSD that is 3x faster than the one that comes with the Dell. A 16GB SSD is ~$70, 32GB is ~$120 and 64GB is ~$220.

I went for the 64GB and have a completely solid state laptop with 80GB of storage for approximately $515. The thing doesn't even have a fan, it uses a heat spreader to dissipate heat through the case. No moving parts whatsoever, for completely silent operation. I'm pleased.

Oh, there is also an aftermarket battery on Ebay for ~$70 that brings the battery life up to 8 hours from the standard 4.

6. bovine

bovine New Member

Yeah, because a tablet would be the ideal solution for internet/email and editing the occasional word document. For fuck's sake, read the OP's post before typing out that he should just buy the last thing you did.

7. bovine

bovine New Member

The Lenovo has a pretty bad battery life if I recall correctly. I toyed with getting the s10 because I love Lenovo's laptops, but I really am getting a netbook so that I can go unplugged at school all day and not worry about my computer dying. If you don't care about being plugged in, I would say go for it, though.

8. radfad88

lol thanks... oh, and I'm not a "he" :wtc:

9. bovine

bovine New Member

We need to make a new pronoun already, "they" and he/she just isn't cutting it anymore.

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

nudes?

11. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

Woman :rofl:

12. ady

ady New Member

Women in not wanting a heavy laptop shocker :ugh:. Though as you have already shown your inability to read that comment is likely more you trying insult the OP under the assumption she is really a man.

I think most of the current netbooks are great. I got a Samsung NC10 when they came out to replace a 15.4" notebook that I just used for browsing the web at home and have played with a lot of the others before and since. It is definatly my favourite and the one I would recommend. I believe Amazon have just announced a special version of it they will be selling ($500, same as regular price) with a larger touchpad and 9.4 hours of battery life. I'd go windows unless you are sure you will be happy without it and if you don't want to spend $500 then I'd look at an MSI Wind.

13. bovine

bovine New Member

Your suggestion was fucking retarded. Get over it.

14. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

get a netbook, there are deals posted on fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net

I would get a lenovo S10 for $300.

if you need the little cash, ebay the toshiba as-is.

if you don't, donate it to goodwill and write it off for 2009 taxes.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My brother has one of those. I don't think he's put it down since he got it for Christmas.

16. deusexaethera

So what you're saying is you've already made up your mind, but you wanted a man to say it's a good idea.

It's a good idea.

Happy?

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i got my girlfriend an asus 1000ha. its perfect size for her and has pretty good battery life 4+ hours most of the time.

18. radfad88

No. I don't give a fuck if it's a man or a woman giving me the input and I'm not asking for validation that getting a netbook is a 'good idea'. I asked if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions about the netbooks on the market right now. I like to get consumer feedback from real people before I delve into a specific model.

Please just GTFO of my thread if you're going to criticize me for having a vagina. I'm in the military and I work too fucking hard in general to be disrespected. This isn't the main forum and I don't have to defend myself for that shit.

19. deusexaethera

If you really didn't care about who was giving you advice, and if your having a vagina really didn't factor into your worldview or its application to this thread, you wouldn't have specified your gender in the first place.

Get an Asus eeePC. Those have the best ratings.

20. radfad88

:rolleyes: all I did was correct him for calling me "he". People assume I'm a male on here a lot I assume because there aren't many girls on OT.

21. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

I got a Lenovo S10 two weeks ago.

I am IN LOVE with this laptop. I'm getting about 2.5 hours out of the 3-cell battery and I'm doing wi-fi the whole time. I got about 2 hours out of it watching DVDs that I ripped to the HDD.

If you're going to get a netbook, I would suggest the following:

1. Make sure you don't need the additional power of a bigger laptop. These aren't slugs but the atom is no power house either.
    2. Make sure you're proficient at installing software without using a CD drive. I have been using magicISO and magicDisc on my S10.
    3. Don't bother with the solid state drives. The reliability of the data is attractive, but the power savings are minimal (if not non-existent) and the space isn't that great yet. One might argue that you can just carry an external HDD but IMO that will use a bit more power since you're powering the drive when it's connected, and it's more crap to carry.
    4. Consider upgrading the RAM immediately.

For you, I would also suggest spending the money to get the 6-cell battery if you absolutely must go hours and hours unplugged. Good luck. I have a desktop, full-size laptop and netbook. I'm finding myself using the netbook more and more over the other two ;)

22. bovine

bovine New Member

Please. His suggestion was a almost 40% higher in price than her stated ceiling. It was useless.

23. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

dell and ibm have military discounts as well. i would look into that.

24. deusexaethera

In English, "he" is practically a gender-neutral pronoun; we can't call you "it", because English doesn't use "it" for people, and since gender doesn't matter anymore :)mamoru:) it would be impolite to ask "are you a boy or a girl so I know which pronouns to use?" at the beginning of every thread. So it's you who brought gender into the discussion by correcting a totally meaningless malaprop caused by a lack of information that was totally irrelevant to the topic at hand. That tells me you do think gender matters more than we like to pretend it does. You must've known telling a bunch of nerds you're a girl was bound to have side effects.

I say again, just get an Asus eeePC. Best one you can afford, and be done with it. (dare I say it: I, a man, would also get one if I had $400 burning a hole in my pocket.)

25. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

An eeePC would be perfect for a woman in the military, what other needs would there be?

From a developer standpoint the eeePC is subpar.