Netbook Users, I'm in the market what to look for?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Essence, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Essence

Essence New Member

Just wondering if any specific things I should look for in a netbook? I already have an HP 17" laptop with a 320gb drive which is about 9 months old so its enough for my home entertainment but i'm looking for something to carry to class. lugging this heavy thing around is more work than its worth.

my price range is 300-600ish not looking to spend much more than that

don't want a tiny ass annoying keyboard but i'm expecting it to have to be smaller. but i'm used to typing on a blackberry keyboard a lot so it probably won't be a huge issue as long as the its an almost full keyboard

really want the longest battery life possible (hopefully 6+)

screen size? i don't really know, i've never used a netbook. What is too small to be comfortable reading? I'm assuming that the larger screen directly affects the battery life...

really want some ports for ext devices like ext monitor and/or keyboard so I can bring my necessary files and applications to another desktop.

anyways, anything else you guys think i need to be looking for? or have any suggestions?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Asus 1000HE
    /thread

3. Essence

Essence New Member

I looked at those the other day. Heard upgrading the ram is a real pain in the ass b/c its located under the mb.

What's the differences b/w the HE and the HA? I think I read that the HA has 2usb ports vs the HE has three... Surely there's more than that. Does either one support firewire? I have an ext hdd that's 6pin firewire but my hp only had 4pin so I had to buy a different cable and honestly 4pin is about like usb2.0. Don't suppose this is a deal breaker but I need it to work as well as possible with all the stuff I already have.

I've done a little bit of research and plan to keep browsing my options but always want to hear opinions on specific features or experienced netbook users.

4. Essence

Essence New Member

okay. so the HE isn't a bitch to change the ram. apparently its as easy or easier as most other laptops. 3 usb ports and 6cell battery. it looks pretty good for what i need it for i suppose.

still wish it had hdmi port and firewire. guess thats not going to be a deal breaker for what i need it for though.

426.31 for 1000he+2gb crucial ram on amazon with 2 day shipping
    not bad?

*Edit* 413.92 on newegg with 3 day shipping

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Get the samsung NC10, battery life pwns.

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Samsung N120 ftw... I get 8 hours from mine

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

i swear by my eee pc (i got the 1000)

8. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

I just got a 1000HA at Newegg and it seems pretty sweet so far. The 1000HE has the faster front side bus and slightly faster processor, but it costs another $60 so I didn't think it was justified.
    Memory was a piece of cake to swap out.

9. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

toshiba has a new one coming out (or maybe already out).. 10" LED screen, great keyboard, big touchpad, 8.5 hour battery, and it's only $400

check gizmodo.com for info