.net

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CruD, Oct 28, 2003.

1. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it

I've been using 6.0 for awhile and I was wondering about .NET. From what i've heard you can't run programs you create with it unless you have the .NET framework installed. that correct? Can you package the framework in the installer of ur program? can you create programs to work on all windows, 95-2003?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

1.) The computer must have the framework installed to run .NET apps.

2.) Visual studio .NET has an .MSI builder and you can package the framework with it.

3.) Platform independant (as long as win32... I don't think anything will run on 16bit versions of windows)

3. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it

Meh - it's so much easier to just do 6.0

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

you also will soon be converted! muahahaha

it's nice man, trust me. So many things just make more sense, and it's a REAL programming language for a change.

5. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

.Net is insanely useful, and having the framework installed on machines is simple - all it takes is 1 installation, and it's on. Considering that the framework is bundled with XP it should be standard, and if they don't have it, they can access it either from your install or from windowsupdate.microsoft.com

As for the functionality of .Net, that's for you to decide. I use mostly C# and C++, and while the C++ apps can be designed as stand-alone (meaning no Framework is needed, however the executable is MUCH larger than the equivalent C# executable), I find the C# apps to be far quicker development-wise, and with the decreased executable and package size, it makes distribution and updating quite easy (at the enterprise level, I should say).

People will rip .Net, and that's fine, every programming language has it's place. I find that C# is incredibly handy for what I use it for (quick app development for immediate rollout to an enterprise environment with total integration into our AD structure), however there are times when other languages would be more appropriate.

Like VB, for instance, would be more appropriate if I were teaching monkies how to program :o

6. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

VB GOT :Owned: :Owned: