.Net crew assemble! v.(listview / datagridview word-wrap)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Feb 24, 2008.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I need to put a string of variable length into something like a listview or datagridview and have the cell/column word-wrap. The problem is that there are four columns I need to display, three of which are always 1-line... But the 4th column is variable in length, and could be one row, or two, three, four, five....ninty-nine.

Anyway, I've messed around with both the listview (has the look I want when it's in "details" view) as well as the datagridview (not as pretty) but I'm at a loss here.

Help me out!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for now I am displaying the static info in a listview and have a text box below it with a splitter showing the variable content. It at least lets me move on to more important matters.

If anyone knows of a way to ditch the splitter/textbox I'd appreciate it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A screenshot would be helpful. I can't quite visualize what you're talking about.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

As you can see, the text could be quite long... I'm ultimately wanting this to behave almost like a HTML table. For now, I have resorted to a splitter control, and a text box to display the contents.

[​IMG]

5. deusexaethera

Ah, I see now. Yeah, I got nothin'. I do think the splitter is a better approach, though. That way you don't have to see the entire contents of a row if that row isn't the one you're looking for.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

We're looking at branching out from wholesale and opening a retail channel... So I'm working on a concept PoS system that will integrate with my existing inventory/warehouse control systems. The problem is that I'm working on the account UI and notations are going to be an important tool in this channel.

When you're accessing the notation history it's more to "bring you up to speed" on that customer, what they've done with us, and to detail out our contacts with them. As a result, I feel it would be best-suited by a "scrolling" approach. Because you're needing to go back through notations to find the details of what was discussed/promised or to determine any patterns of abuse/problems/etc you really need to skim through a lot of notes, and I'm trying to avoid the "click/read" ... "click/read" ... "click/read" dilema of presenting each note as a record that must be opened.

I have thought about putting all of the notes in a text box with tabs and line-breaks, but that just looks hacky.

I would really like the listview or datagridview effect... Something to properly emulate what is so easy in a HTML table (yes I've thought about using a browser control and building HTML on the fly. Not the approach I want to take.

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Does not work. In fact, it doesn't even come close to what I asked :ugh2:. That makes the WIDTH of the column uber-long, which is even more ugly than the original behavior.

9. deusexaethera

Despite the fact that you don't want to use a browser control, it might be the easiest way to do what you want.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

aint gonna happen.