WEB Net.Admins: My site traffic has dropped in a ridiculous way, from one day to another

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DI2009, Sep 29, 2008.

1. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

it just fell to the floor. Any ideas what could cause this? We used to average around 1500 visitors a day, we are now at like 300-400. I can't explain why it has dropped this way. We did have a security breach around that time, and I restored to a 30 day old backup just in case.

If you look at the graphs this happened overnight many months ago. Fucking weird. My AdSense revenue is 1/4 of what it used to be.

These are visitors
    [​IMG]

This page views
    [​IMG]

I can't explain why it just dropped like that, I feel as if people are being blocked that normally had access. IP range ban or something, but I've checked those on both the server and vb settings.

2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

whats the site? could it be seasonal?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Check your referrers and compare them.

4. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

On Analytics? Or my WHM panel?

This is from Analytics, It too dropped substantially. From 300-400 referring sites a day to 30-50. In the beginning it drops only because that's when I started using Analytics, early Feb. 2008.

[​IMG]

5. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

"security breach"? You've hinted at that being the problem itself. What was this exactly?

Taking from a 30 day backup, what effect would this have had on your site, especially in regards to broken URLs, content etc.

You really need to scour those logs and compare the before and afters and see what's missing (or decreased). At least you have an obvious time you can look at.

Look at the geographical spread of hits, browser share, referrerals, peak times etc before and after. Does the spread stay the same, just with decreased hits, or are large chunks of things suddenly missing?

Why did you have to go to a 30 day backup rather than a more recent one?

You've really given yourself the big clues, and it's going to be hard for anyone here to really help you because we don't know anything about your site and setup.

Also, have you checked to see if there's any DNS problems?

6. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

yeah, hone down the main traffic losses in your stats. Odds are you dropped out of the index for one (some?) of the search keywords or one of your main referring sites dropped your link off.

Hard to say without knowing where the bulk of your traffic was coming from.

If it's the indexing dropping from google, I've seen that happen quite a bit. Will be ranked really well for some keywords then just completely fall out of the index completely out of the blue. Then show up again a week or two later...sometimes even better positions.

7. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

Someone hacked into the host, got into several dedicated boxes and wiped SQL databases on all of them, including mine. I couldn't find when or where this happened, so I decided to go back 30 days to play it safe (some of the other site owners restored to a few days and got hacked again the next morning).

Here is the month of April 08 right before when it all went to shit.
    [​IMG]

This our current month of Sept 08.:hs:
    [​IMG]

Everything is just down. If it was the search engines, I would think that the returning would have stayed fairly high, and the referring sites also, what baffles me is that they all dropped drastically, as if parts of the world can't get to my site.

8. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

I seriously can't figure this out and I've been trying for months, combing all the data and logs. I've talked to my host, they have no clue. I just find it hard that we dropped and lost members like that over night. We are talking about thousands that would just walk away over night. :hs:

9. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Perhaps you got blacklisted by the search engines for malware? Though you're still getting search engine hits and referrals.

DNS hijack? I've never had to deal with anything like that, and I doubt it would have such a lasting effect.

You need to scour those logs more and see if any geographical chunks have started dissapearing. Otherwise we can only take random guesses.

Have you figured out how the attack happened, locked it down, and what the actual full effects of the attack were? The extent might have been greater than simply wiped databases.

10. BassAmbassador

BassAmbassador Brobocop

I had the same problem, fixed by updating to google's new tracking code.. I assume you're using the urchis(sp) code?

11. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

You talking about the Google Analytics code? I'm not sure if I'm using the new one or old, I'll check that and update it if need be. Thanks for the tip, and thanks to all for the suggestions.

Edit: I checked my Analytics code, and I already have the new code in place, not the unchin.js

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  12. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

have you looked at the referring sites and see who is no longer referring to you

there is a 14% drop there

13. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I went back through everything, after we got hacked, the one thing I never restored was my vSEO. I did that yesterday, and already the chart is back up to 1500+ for today, vs 627 yesterday, so I am hoping that was the problem.