WEB Nervous/Excited

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cd'a, Oct 17, 2007.

1. cd'a

cd'a New Member

Need some assurance from all of you fine people. I've made a living selling insurance for the past few years and am successful with that. I now had a job offer from a friend who owns a decent sized web site to where I'd be making roughly the same amounts of money working from home part/full time.

Its tough to get out of something that is so secure that I know well. But the opportunity to work from home and have time to work on my own projects is too enticing to pass up.

The thing that keeps coming to my mind is with great risk comes great reward?!?!

2. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

...not to discourage you, but great loss could result as well.

3. cd'a

cd'a New Member

This is true.....But think of all the great things in our world we'd not have if people had not taken risks? My wife has been employeed full time by the same person for the past 2 years very steadily which gives me faith.

4. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

why do you ask for advise and when given one try to argue? :hsugh:

anyways i agree with him if you can't afford the lost, have family to take care of, or need the steady income i wouldn't go for it.

How about keep your job and do the website job as well if its not too demanding. If you can do this for few months you will get a good idea what exactly is going to be the income flow from the site alone and how stable/ secure it is.

5. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i would also advise about leaving a comfortable place. our engineer here at work left to persue a higher paying position, was let go and came crawling back. hes back now with a large paycut.

try and speak with your friend on how sound the company is. how long has it been around? how financially stable are they? etc..

6. cd'a

cd'a New Member

Thanks Dr. Pepper...as stated my wife has worked for him for 2 years and has been very stable. I know what his sales figures are and know he can afford to pay me. Every time I've gone to him asking for an increase for my wifes pay he's been fair.

I do know there is some risk involved. I am 25yrs old though with no family other than my wife and she is behind me 100%. In my mind now is the time to take a risk like this before I have a bunch of financial obligations that would not let me pursue something like this.

I appreciate all feedback!

7. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

dude if youre 25 and have no dependents except a wife, i would say go for it.
    would you mind pm me the site?

8. cd'a

cd'a New Member

I have been working part time for this person a little bit for the past couple months while working my normal job. I am going to work for him on more a full time basis now. I can't work two full time jobs.

Just because someone gives me advise or their opinion doesn't mean I have to follow it?? I appreciate Andrews input but I have taken that into account already.

I'm sure you take all the advise you receive from OT every time they suggest something? :hsugh:

9. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

oh yes all the time :squint:

anyways good luck :x:

10. cd'a

cd'a New Member

Thanks..I actually gave my 2 weeks notice a couple hours ago. That's never a fun thing to do.

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I worked from home for about eight years after making a career change just out of the blue. Last four years were the best times I ever had raking in a good chunk of money but that all fell thru when company went financially down the toilet. Not mine but working contracted for someone else. Only thing I can suggest as the best advice is a fail plan ready. Every new venture can bring you fortune and fame but it can also bring you the worst of things that arent thought of.

Working at home got to bothering me after a while but it did change my life.

Good luck with your new venture.