Nero 6 or 7?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SugarCoatedSour, Jan 24, 2007.

1. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Just reformatted my computer and getting programs re-installed. I've used 6 for a long time and had no qualms about it. I figure that I might switch over to 7, but I remember that 7 has had some problems, which I'm not sure have been already addressed and fixed (ie. integration with DVDShrink).

Cliffs: Should I go with Nero 6 Ultra Edition or switch to 7?

Thanks in advance. :wiggle:

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

6. 7 is a bloated pile of junk.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

That's what I hear. Its too bad they had to ruin a good program. What do you like? I'm going to have to get a new one because I'm sure my old NTI or Nero 5.5 won't run on Vista.

4. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

Most new software blows, and Nero 6 Ultra has been great. Stay with 6.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's a fantastic comment. It's got nothing to do with the user being set in their ways, or their computer being too slow to process new features in a timely manner, it's that the software sucks. Uh huh.

Look, I agree that major design changes seem to take a few revisions before the users and the programmers come to agreement on how new features should work, but that doesn't mean the software blows. On the one hand, the only way to make Nero 7's features not feel like add-ons would be to completely rewrite the program from the ground up, and on the other hand, a complete rewrite would be heinously expensive and it would also wipe away whatever expectation of stability and predicability might have come from having built upon Nero 6 instead.

If Nero 6 does everything you need, doesn't crash, and you can't think of anything you wish it could do for you, then no, there's no reason to upgrade. If Nero 6 isn't sufficient, then you should upgrade. Don't get rid of stuff that works, but make damn sure it works first.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I'm using 7.2.1.1. I found that I had some issues with constantly burning coasters using 7.1.xx, but since 7.2, it's been great. It is a little slow, but if you do any video recoding or stuff like that, it's a breeze. If you just need to burn images and music, stick with 6.