neighbors wifi

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WPS, Dec 25, 2003.

1. WPS

WPS f22c1

so my brother got a new laptop with the built in wifi and it picks up other ppls wireless routers i guess. he can use at least 3 other ppls for connecting to the internet. i guess they didnt establish any passwords or protections.
    so my question is, can the ppl he hook up to view his computer or what he is looking on the internet? would there be any security issues for him?
    he could save 50 a month by borrowing someones connection.. :hs:

2. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

Yeah I can easily use one of the connections in my apt also. Most people suck at security and don't understand they should be enabling wep or mac filtering for blocking the commoners. If he's got a firewall enabled it'll help protect him, but most likely no one will know any different and chances are they wont know how to get into his computer. So yeah steal away...ibyougetcought :big grin:

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The router should have a DHCP log that shows the hostname and mac address of computers that are connected to it. But if they're too dumb to do even basic security config on the router, they've probably never even been to the router's setup.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

ibTheirComputerGeekSonComesBackFromCollegeForTheHolidaysAndPwnesYourBro

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

6. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

with my wifi card I see neighbors networks but I can't get onto them.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Same here... Where I work, there is a small IBM building across the street who just put in a wireless network. While sitting at work, we can pick up the signals, but I'm glad they are smart enough to use WEP.

For my home wireless network, I have it setup pretty good. I'm using WEP and MAC filtering, so the only 2 wireless machine in my house can get access. It's a real good idea to setup at least something up like that. It took not but 5 minutes to setup a WEP password and activate the MAC filtering setting...

8. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

that's why you set a static ip in their range so you don't show up in the dhcp client list