Negativity from non-gymers

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Gutrat, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

I have always been very active, and been cursed with a very lean ectomorph body (skinny). I work really hard to get bigger, and the results are very slow and minimal. But what I notice the most is the negativity that most people give me. They call me "skeletor" or when I tell them i'm going to be 200lb (i'm 165) they laugh and say its never going to happen. What's worse is that none of these people workout, or try to, make excuses not to goto the gym, or are just plain out of shape.

My question is, how many of you manage to show these people the changes you've made in your life? and what did they say when you achieved your goals?

It's starting to piss me off... I can't wait.

2. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Don't worry about other ppl. When you get to 200lbs chances are they'll still give you shit.

3. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

i still get shit from people to this day about "working out all the time", "drinking protein shakes all day", etc.

4. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

i get shit from everyone.. i just pee on them.

my friends were giving me a hard time tonight because they were all drinking and i had a crystal light .:dunno:

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

As Greene says, the only solution is quarantine. They cannot be saved. Go in for the save and you'll find yourself being brought down.

Now, this may seem superficial, this idea of getting those negative people out of your life (or limiting them in case of close relatives), but it really isn't. This thing we do -- training hard, eating right, seeking optimal health, being in control of our bodies -- is foundational and reflective to an internal drive, a lifestyle, a core personality, and a belief system.

Those who would infect and sabotage this "petty" diet and training stuff would also tear you down or hold you back in other areas of your life. Their failure-mentality is indeed an infection... and you can't cure them; you can only catch their disease.

Quarantine.

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

i'm surprised your ctrl key and 'v' key still work

7. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

I wonder if jealousy drives them to say those things... because they don't have enough willpower. Hmm, just a thought.

8. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Wrong. Go from 160 --> 200 and you will get FAR less shit from random people. Friends might still fuck with you but it aint gonna be because your a "skeleton."

9. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

In my experience it's not about what you look like but the lifestyle. Especially the food aspect. My mom won't shut the fuck up about how I eat "too much" even though I've gone from 150 to 200 without increasing my bf percentage. My friends get mad when I don't say yes to fast food every time. I never got shit from random ppl for how I look, even at 150lbs.

10. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

When I first started lifting I used to get crap from people all the time... especially from my roommates.

"Why are you drinking meal replacements" (aka ON Choc Mint)
    "Are those diet pills?" (aka fish oil)
    "You're going to get bulky and turn into a man"

But now, just the other day one of my roommates actually wanted to know more about my routine, and even wanted me to take her to the gym to show her some of the weight machines. And the other asked me if she could try my protein shake. Even though they didn't explicitly compliment me or anything, I took that as an indirect way of them saying I've progressed.

So hopefully after you make some gains, you'll get less crap.
    And even then people may not compliment you or give you the recognition you deserve. So don't expect it.

Keep going... And don't let it slow you down.

11. july23rd1989

july23rd1989 Blood for Lube

... you sir are a tool, I send my condolences to your family/friends. Move to bodybuilding.com forums teen section, you'll fit right in.

EDIT:
    To everyone else, don't let his comments effect your judgment of skinny body builders, we all don't think we're hard as fuck and think everyones jealous of us at our 165lbs weight i swear.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  12. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

One of the skinnest kid at my school growing up. I was just as skinny.

this is what i found googling...so its not impossible. I on the other hand, gained weight onyl when i put myself on a 4500-5000 calorie diet.

[​IMG]

13. ReFreshing

ReFreshing OT Supporter

just more motivation for you

14. july23rd1989

july23rd1989 Blood for Lube

Seriously, most inspiring before/after pic was Mike's. All the motivation i needed right there, just seeing someone exactly where I started, move to where exactly where i want to be. Just puts my mind at ease knowing you stick at this couple more solid years, things will happen.

Sorry I snapped at you Gutrat, but I'm just getting sick of seeing every skinny person going emo about being an ectomorph, totally putting the stereotype out there that we're all like that. Just means you have to work harder, funner that way anyways.... BAH! Now you got me sounding like a skinny hardcore...

15. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

PM REV, he's in the same boat as you.

The fail boat

16. Drewski

Drewski New Member

typically its because they are jealous. they don't have the dedication to do anything and are trying to knock you down so they can feel better about themselves

17. mg

mg OT Supporter

shut up. eat. lift. and eat some more. :fawk:

18. xela

xela So say we all!

People will always rag on you. Always. Just deal with it and if you can't then don't hang out with them anymore.

19. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

haters gonna hate... and there's ALWAYS gonna be haters

always

20. keeler

keeler New Member

I've been losing weight a lot and my friends g/f said "you look good, your not going to get all weird and buff, are you?" I looked her strait in the eyes and said "yes" lol. I hate people sometimes. I have been getting the, you look like you workout a lot recently.

21. Pringles

Pringles New Member

don't even worry about them. I used to weight 155lbs at 6'4". I'm now breaking the 200lbs mark and still going Still look like a bitch IMO. It should be what you think about yourself and what you think you need to get to where you want. Notice all the yous and none of the "friends." Ya fuck em if they aren't helping you. Find someone that will because lifting with a partner is a whole new experience that will help the noob gains fly by.

22. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

use it as motivation to eat

23. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

seems like your problem isnt in bodybuilding its that youre just a whiny gaping vagina.

who gives a fuck what people say.

i went from 145-215 naturally in close to 3 years. this was the transition from HS to College. People made fun of me for being skinny, now they walk around calling me a juicehead behind my back, but to my face they compliment me and make sure not to have their girlfriends around me (ive fucked most of them anyways). When you get bigger if you have the balls and the determination, youll get called a juicehead too.

Now Im a chizzled juiced out 210lbs that walks around like a Greek God and shits on peoples chests when I feel like it.

24. trancezj

trancezj New Member

jesus dude you have a gift with words.

25. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

i can do pullups and most people cant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.