needing suggestions on SCSI controller

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlaXicaN, Aug 14, 2005.

1. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN Active Member

I am a newbie to the area of SCSI devices still. I bought two new SCSI hardrives off ebay:
    FUJITSU MAU3036NP 36GB 68PIN SCSI HD 15K RPM NEW $130

These drives were a steal; they are $230 on newegg. I've googled a bit but I can't find a nice guides for SCSI devices. I just need to know what is the best SCSI controller that I can use for these drives that won't underperform them? Someone told me at least an Adaptetc 2940 or higher. I don't think I will be doing raid. These drives are going to be used mainly for gaming on the new desktop PC I'm building.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah Adaptec is pretty much the standard in SCSI controllers. Too bad a good U160/320 card will cost almost as much as those drives.

3. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

:werd:

Those things will have a nice whine at 15k too :mamoru:

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I hope your realise that unless you have PCI-X slots, your going to be limited to 133MB/s combined bandwidth, that includes network cards. So going with U320 is going to be a waste of money since you won't be able to move that much bandwidth, so Ultra 160 would be fine)

Adaptec 29160s are good cards if you don't plan on RAID but if you want raid its going to cost considerably more. You can find Adaptec raid cards for ~$200ish i believe. I believe i own a Adaptec SCSI RAID 3200 card, but have had no success booting with it in my computer.

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A 2940 wont do the job for two drives.

I'd go with a 19160 its a bit cheaper than the 29160.