Need your opinons on a few things (just starting out)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vtec1994, Oct 25, 2002.

1. vtec1994

vtec1994 It always rains at Le Mans

First what are your opinions on the following brands in the mentioned area:

-Audiobahn (subs/amps)
    -Alpine (headunits)
    -JL (subs/amps)
    -Boston Acouostics (speakers)

Now here is what im going for:

I have a 95 blazer 4 door, it has 6 1/2's in each door and a pair of 4x6's in the dash.

I want to run a set of components in the from and a set of 2-way coaxles in the rear and possibley eliminate the 4x6's... not sure though.

For subs and amps I want to 12's in a sealed box and I would like to keep the number of amps to 2 if possible a Mono Class D and 4-channel.

My problem comes in on power to the subs, I want to run at 4 Ohms just so I dont put to much of a stress on my amp, what amps out there produce a good 700-1000 watts at preferably 4 ohms???

I know Ill come across a few other things but thats what Ive got for now.

2. 04

04 Guest

Audiobahn: I dislike
    Alpine: I like for head units
    JL: Overpriced, but not trash, decent stuff but better for the money
    Boston: Overpriced

Why do you have to run your loudspeakers at a 4ohm load? If the amplifier is designed to run a 1ohm load, it can take a 1ohm or 2ohm load with no problems. If it can't its really not a 1ohm amplifier.

I dislike rear speakers because they add more cost to your system, and I don't like the sound coming from behind me, but its really a personal preference, and you may like that.

What is your price range?

3. vtec1994

vtec1994 It always rains at Le Mans

4 ohm cause its less stress on the amp than at 2 ohms, i really dont want to have the headache of blowing up amps. budget hopefully no more than 1500 when its all said and don

4. Faygo

Faygo Got any room in your pocket for a little spare Cha

Re: Re: Need your opinons on a few things (just starting out)

I agree with this. I would suggest a component set in the front and maybe a 4"x6" plate replacement for the dash. I eliminated the rear speakers in my car and I like the sound much more.

5. 04

04 Guest

Dude, you don't have to worry about the source impedence. Many times you can run a impedence load lower than the amplifiers reccomended minimum and have no problems. The resistance of the speaker is so complex anyways, you can't get it perfect.