Need your help guys SE-R SPEC V??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cachee0, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Ok so I need a commuter car. I went to check a few things out and I really like the spec v because it's 4 doors and handles well. Plus for 16.5K brand new it's the cheapest of the cars I was looking at. I need to drive 50 miles one way mostly highway and wanted to know if these cars have any issues. Any help would be great I might be getting the car as early as this weekend.

the dealer has a blue one with a stick on the lot ready to be delivered. My wife digs it more then everything else we have seen. I wanted a DSG GTI but that will be 22K, and again this one is 16.5K new.

Thanks

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Insurance on a Spec V is really high for the price of the car, would have cost me more to insure than my old Mustang GT!

I'd reccomend going with a Scion TC or Accord

3. Cachee0

We drove the TC before the Spec V, It's ackward feeling. My wife did not like it because she can't see the ends of the car because of the windsheild and for a car that is that high it has no head room. And it was cazy in so many ways. Spec V felt soild compared. We don't like how the accord looks. How much was your GT VS the Spec V??

4. machine81

machine81 New Member

Corolla?

My automatic gets 37 mpg on the highway. For functionality, you can't do much better.

5. Cachee0

Sorry man can't do a Corolla:)

6. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

Spec V's are kinda un-refined in a lot of ways.. they seem kind cheap inside and the people iv'e known with them don't get the best mileage (like 25-27)..I'd look into the new civic's.The coupes look really cool in black and a well equipped LX should be around 16-17k..Plus the mileage is awesome.

7. Cachee0

ya we looked as the civics and the dash is odd. the coupes are hard to get in my area. 25-27mpg is fine for my needs. Plus for 16K I can't touch a civic coupe. I just need a car I can get 150K out of and not cost me a arm and leg. I also like it because it makes the most power and still takes regular. I'm considering a SE-R with auto over a SpecV.

8. red97gst

red97gst New Member

why auto ? u plan to be in traffic a lot?

9. shiba

shiba Active Member

y dont you just get a used car if its only for commuting?

10. Cachee0

I have two other cars that are stick shift. So why another at this point. and just incase there is traffic. Again a commuter...

11. Cachee0

Warrenty mostly, Plus everything is new. IE brakes, tires, you name it all new. And I know were it has been and I know it was serviced.

16.5K for a new car with 165HP that takes regular gas and gets over 25mpg is a nice deal. Plus it has a decent sounds system and I get the colors options I want. Why not NEW???????????

12. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

My GT was 916 every 6 months... the Spec V was like 985

I've heard about probelms with the Spec V's MT as well.

13. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

Corrola Type S...

14. specialkz

specialkz New Member

go for the dsg gti. german engineering ftw

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Have you looked at the Mazda 3s? Similar price and specs, seems much better-made.

You could get into a Civic LX for that price too, unfortunately it's way down on power.

The Elantra GT is another good option in that price range, lower in fact... it's also down on power but not as much as the Civic.

Wouldn't recommend a Toyota anything unless driving bores you and you want a car that's boring to drive.

Wouldn't recommend a VW anything unless you enjoy shoddy electrics (and who doesn't?)

Nissan quality has taken a dive in recent years, though a Sentra should still hold up better than a VW, that isn't saying much. If you want a car you can feel really confident about lasting 150k I'd say the 3 above are probably all better options.

16. Cachee0

Thanks good post I'll look at those

17. Cachee0

That car is awsome, but with the DSG only being out for a while I don't know what issues the thing will have.

18. Cachee0

My Evo is 2200
    My M3 1890

This will be 1600

Ya I have read that too also people were saying it shifts like crap.:wtc:

The Auto will be fine more and more I think about it.

19. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

german reliablity ftl

20. NeoPokle

NeoPokle Active Member

With the exception of the GTI and maybe the Corrola S its really hard to find a car that is quick like the Spec V for the price range. Don't forget the Spec has a limited slip differential, 6 speed gearbox, and other goodies that the others don't for thousands more.

I think the GTI is a better car if you can afford it. Also Spec V's do not come in automatic, at least they haven't from 2002-2004. The Se-R without the limited slip & 17's is only auto now. If you have questions about the spec you can PM me (obviously I have one).

21. Cachee0

Thank you, Yes SE-R with auto specv does not have a auto option. I figure it easyer just to get a auto for a commute. I'm not going to be racing the car so the limited slip is not enough for me to have deal with a stick as a commuter.

Are they decent cars as far as Reliability?:x: I just want a good 150K out if it. Also with out the 17ins and Brembos I think the service costs would be less over time with the SE-Rs 16s and stock brakes. I like the fact that it's chaine driver over Timing belt another thing I don't need to service.

22. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Timing chains are a mixed bag, a lot of times they don't last as long as they're supposed to (which is forever). Links can wear and stretch over time causing chain rattle and even jumping teeth, you can have problems with the tensioners, etc. And they're expensive to repair if something happens because it's so much harder to get to than a belt. My old 240SX had timing chain problems around 120k, a tensioner guide broke off and started rattling around in there :noes:

The only really bad thing about timing belts is if they're on an interference engine, if the belt breaks your whole valvetrain is wrecked. Older Hondas were like this, but they've switched to chains now.

23. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

I'm just not understanding why you would even buy the SE-R at all if your going to saddle it with an auto.Buy a GXE with the 1.8 for less money and get better gas mileage since it's just a commuter.Plus you won't have to deal with the ricers trying to race you:)..I would buy a Honda or Toyota though, plain and simple they are just built better....they also hold thier value WAY better as well.

24. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure the chain on the S2000 is supposed to be replaced at 100k, so they don't last forever.

25. Cachee0

The base car is boring. At least this one is tighter and handles better.

My other cars is a EVO 8 and BMW M3 dude I can't stand having a cheap retail car like a base 1.8s