MIL Need/would really appreciate some advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sarge21, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

Without going into a ton of detail, please read the below synopsis on my situation and tell what course of action you would take in my situation. Thank you in advance for serious replies.

I am currently a scholarship cadet in AFROTC, however, my accumulated debt load in conjunction with academic pressure (engineering major) has left me in a posistion where i can no longer succeed at both ROTC and school. Thus i must leave ROTC (this is not debatable). I have two options, 1) repay all the scholarship money i have recieved from the air force, or 2) Go on active duty as an enlisted memeber.

Now, both oppurunities will still afford me a possibility for a commision, 1) OTS after i graduate, or 2) AECP or OTS after i earn my last few hours of my degree while on active duty.

I am only 1 year away from graduating with bachelors in Mechanical Enigeering.

OT Military members, if you were in my position, would you elect to repay the scholarship money you took and graduate in a year and pursue an OTS slot or civilian employment, or would you go active duty enlisted for a couple years and try for other commisioning sources.

again, i appreciate all serious replies

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Tough situation, are you 100% sure you can not make it 1 more year? Have you applied for all possible grants, scholarships, and loans?

3. Sarge21

if i stay in ROTC it is 2 more years to graduate......1 year without.....my debt has rendered incapable of getting loans to help out......family is not an option

4. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

Repay the AF and finish school.

5. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Stay in school, graduate in a year and then repay the debt. A lot of school loans are deferable until you graduate. You should look into this.

6. brackac

I thought the AF was allowing cadets to drop ROTC and not pay back the tuition due to a Officer overage.

7. brackac

Ask this guy

lim F(x) = F(a)

8. Sarge21

that was offered last year...to juniors and seniors....unfortunately it hasnt been offered yet this year and i have to make a desicion in a week.

9. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Then make inquiries into it for this year rather than waiting for other people to mention/make the offer. Also inquire about getting the loan repayment deferred until graduation. Typically this is the case with school loans.

Stay in school.

10. Sarge21

thanks

11. Sarge21

bump for C5's opinion

12. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

You WILL regret it if you come in enlisted... At least once you see an O-1's paycheck compared to an E-3. . .

13. Sarge21

this i know :hs:

14. gookarachie

gookarachie New Member

This is good advice, most likely the one I would look into.

15. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

School. Do it. Stay in. Whatever you have to do, get this last damn year knocked out and behind you. The future you will bow down and kiss your feet for this. You will never know the closed doors and missed opportunities that you will avoid because you finished school.

Sell everything but your soul if you need to, but stay in school.

16. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

i couldnt agree more. Take out a loan if you need in order to pay it back, but getting your degree will be worth infinitely more than anything else.

I'm doing my damndest right now trying to do as much school as I can, but it's hard being in the military and in school. School is important. It should be your #1 priority. Feel free to pm me if you need any other advice, but i'm with ranger on this.

17. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Im in a similar situation where $$ is dictating stuff contrary to what you want to do. Stick with it man, but BE CAREFUL of ANY loans you get, get the LOWEST POSIBLE finance charge you can. Its not the interst or origination fee that will plow you, its the FINANCE CHARGE. The one good thing about the possibility of getting loans tho buddy is the Officer pay I feel bad talking about it like this but the facts are the facts you WILL be getting paid enough to take care of the loans(even pay extra on the principle, hell thats the plan im going with) whereas with enlisted pay depending on wat else you're doing you might be able to pay it off but look at the time and other pay and allowances you forfeited in the meantime. This is the stuff that keeps me from /myself when I look at the $39k Ive gotta pay back. Im getting really fuckin pissed with our fucking ldinosaur fossil egislature, theyre doing dickshit to help the fucking "future" of our country, if they really cared so goddamned much about the future they wouldnt be letting these fucking schools increase tuition by 10, 13, 16% ANUALLY !!!!!!! Essentially keeping us away from the fucking education thats so highly coveted!!!!! / rant

18. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Also just a thought. Can you join the Air Guard? Most states provide tution assistance for guard members. And you will get E-5 drill pay but rank as a cadet. You will be able to stay is ROTC. You will be able to sign contract as active duty 0-1 when you graduate as long as you stay in ROTC.

This was the case at least for the ARMY when i was in college.