Need video card help v. systemwontpost

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Imagine, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Whats up all? I have a PC thats is running a MSI 648Max mother board with P2.4. My old video card was a Radeon 9500 Pro. A few months ago, the computer stopped booting. It would just beep and never post. I put my old Radeon ViVo DDR 64 video card in and the system came up fine. I figured the video card is shot, okay no biggie.

I order a new PNY GeForce 6600GT. It came today, and I install it. When I turn it on, it won't post it just beeps like the 9500 Pro did. Now I'm getting frustrated. I call PNY support, they have me put in the old card. Go into BIOS look around, she (the tech) says the card must be bad. Call newegg and have them issue a RMA, etc.

Just fit kicks I decide to try it in my old AMD XP1700 with a cheap ECS board. The GeForce is working fine in it, and I'm guessing my 9500 Pro may also.

What should I try? Is there something in BIOs I should look at on my MSI board? Any other ideas? Please help.

I need to play some BF2 and HL2 dang it!

Cliffs:
    9500 Pro and GeForce 6600GT won't post on MSI 648 Max motherboard, but Radeon ViVo DDR 64 works fine.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What's your power supply? Perhaps it's not strong enough to support your more powerful cards, but works fine with your older card. It might have given out somewhat while running your older card, and now only works will weak video cards that won't take too much power.

3. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Nah, I don't think thats it. Its like a 500W or 550W. I just bought it late last year, and I'm not running hardly anything in it right now. (Just trying to get it working before I start putting stuff back in.) Thanks for the Suggestion though.

The one I'm on now is a 350W and its chugging away..:hs:

4. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Well it appears that my AGP slot on my motherboard went South. New motherboard and it seems to me running okay.

5. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Dunno, but that's a SiS chipset based motherboard...Which means it isn't cream of the crop.

I only use nForce for Socket A, nForce/ULi for Socket 754/939, and Intel/nForce/ULi for socket 478/LGA775.