Need TV advice.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by qbushido, Feb 20, 2006.

1. qbushido

qbushido New Member

I think this is the right forum sinch I saw other video related posts...so here goes

I'm looking to spend around 2k on a HDTV. obviously the higher the resolution the better, Flat panel is not a must, rear projection is fine. Can you all recomend any models or vendors?

Thanks in advance!

2. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

look into toshiba, hitachi panasonic, sony etc.
    don;t consider the old style rear projection. its old technology. and buy from an independant dealer...not futureshop or circut city...you'll generally get better all around knowledge and service.
    You can probably get a decent sized pure lcd for 2000. i;m not sure of the american prices though

3. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

I would suggest a sony rear projection LCD TV used or new. Great TVs.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

unless you are getting LCoS do not bother with flat

flat panels are gross :ugh:

find yourself a tv testing DVD and buy one online and take it with you

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

flat panel tvs fucking suck

/story

gtfo noob, since when the fuck do CRTs not use pixels?:ugh:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2006
  6. qbushido

qbushido New Member

I'm thinking about the Sony KDF-E50A10

What do you guys think?

7. boujo

boujo I'm Smarter Then You

DLP is what to get.

Samsung and Toshiba I would suggest

I couldn't afford the DLP but my Toshiba RP looks freaking great

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

1)plasmas are over priced, and the good ones aka ones made by panasonic, are expensive as hell

2)pixels are a measurement of image size you fucking idiot :ugh:

3)DLP 1080 is the new hotness especially on a 100 inch plus projected screen ;)

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i wasnt talking entirely 1080, i was saying DLP WITH 1080, therefore referring to DLP as the focus of arguement as opposed to the 1080 feature :hsugh:

pixel:

Short for Picture Element. The basic unit from which a video or computer picture is made. Essentially a dot with a given color and brightness value. The more pixels the higher the resolution of the picture.

One of the small units that make up an image on a computer or television screen. It is derived from the words picture and element to make pixel.

Pixel is actually two words jammed together ¾ picture and element. A pixel is a tiny sample of video information, the "little squares" that make up an overall picture.

The smallest element (spectral or spatial) sensed by a satellite sensor. A pixel generally appears as a rectangle with a uniform shade or color. A row of pixels forms a scan line, and a series of scan lines forms an image.

A pixel is the smallest unit that makes up an image on a screen. The more pixels, the higher the resolution.

it doesnt apply souly to digital medians, although RPTVs being analog they still have images in which said images can be translated to pixel dimensions, the difference being analog isnt fixed pixels

the main reason i stand behind DLP instead of plasma is due to the fact you can go big for a better price and still retain a high level of image quality.

im aware that front projection is a different issue, im saying for large scale images and movie watching that is the way to go.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

they do not have fixed pixels like on their digital counterparts but they do have pixels

if you'd like to continue to argue i suggest showing me some technical proof of this idea that a rear projected CRT tv does not have pixels.

As far as front projection goes (using CRT technology) the GTT HT Reference 9 reviewed by the perfect vision in the january-february issue is reported to be 2500x2048 pixels.

Why would a rear projection not have pixels using the same technology? Or is this a miscalculation by the magazine and manufacturer?

here is another front CRT review by a different mag: http://www.hometheatermag.com/frontprojectors/29/index1.html

I see the mention of pixels and scanlines? There must be some sort of wizardy involved in rear projection to eliminate said pixels.

Rear workings:
    CRT shines light through magnifier, onto mirror, onto screen

im failing to see how said pixels get explodinated

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2006
  11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

sonys are good tvs, that seems to be the one area of their business they dont fuck up, they are one of the leaders in the tv market so most sony TVs should be a good deal

about that particular model though it is running off of 3LCD set up which may not be the best choice, your best bet is like i said, get a tv testing DVD and go to the stores and check out the models

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

buy a TV yet?

13. qbushido

qbushido New Member

going to pull the trigger tonight.

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

sounds great, let us know when it gets to your house :)

15. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

even though i'm slightly late.....I have Toshiba 24" PureFlat Tube. I like this one (wish i got a bigger screen) better than any plasma/lcd/dlp that i've seen (I used to work at Circuit City and Electronic Express which is a local chain in nashville, for reference). Tho the flat panels are nice, i still prefer my tube. Oh and I also have a 60" RCA RP (it's older) and I think the DVD pic on it is stellar. More $ doesn't always mean better tv IMO