Need to upgrade...need some advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Feb 24, 2003.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

alright so i've had this computer for about 6 years...

its a dell dimension xps-t600
    pentium 3 600 mhz
    upgraded to 512mb ram
    upgraded to 54.5gb hd space
    etc. etc.

right now i just need this thing to be a little faster, any sort of multiple application running takes forever...i need to be able to run novell and since i installed that, everything goes a ridiculous amount slower

so i've realized its time to upgrade...this was the top of the line when i got it...i think it was $3800 or so from dell when i got it with the 21" trinitron monitor

the only original things are the dvd drive, the processor/motherboard/fan/power supply, and the sound card (and of course the built in usb/keyboard/mouse ps/2 inputs)

i can't find on dell's website what kind of motherboard will fit this case or anything

its a pretty small tower...has 2 cd rom ports, 2 smaller floppy drive sized ports (not used) and then the built in floppy in the front of the case

i can take a picture of it or something if that would help anyone

i've never really gone about upgrading a processor before so...can i just upgrade the processor like the one on googlegear (http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80646) or should i go for a new motherboard and everything? what size motherboard do i need?

i don't really have enough money for a new case right now and i'd like to possibly pick up a new hard drive (maybe a 80-120gb) while i'm at it since i'm starting back up with video editing and i need the space

so i have about $400 or so to spend and i'd like 100 or so of that to go to the hard drive (i might pick up another 512 mb of ram if i get a different motherboard that can support it

so...can anyone help lead the blind in the right direction? thanks

2. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

its a dimension xps t600
    600mhz pentium 3

i don't think either hard drive came with the computer...one is 27.2gigs and one is 27.3gigs and both are 7200mhz

what else do you need to know? i don't know the processor or motherboard model or anything

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Okay here's your big problem - your MB. Why?

MB won't allow faster RAM
    MB has a slower FSB
    MB won't take a significantly faster processor
    MB doesn't take advantage of ATA133 standards

So if you replace your weakest link, you also have to replace the RAM and processor anyway. And when you replace the MB and processor, you'll also have to replace your power supply (the biggest cost in a case).

Bite the bullet and welcome yourself to 2003.

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

:(

but i don't have enough money to do that...unless i can sell this damn titanium g4 powerbook my parents got me at the beginning of college

5. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

look into a nforce mobo, you could pair up a nforce 1 with a AMD XP 1800+ and 512 MB RAM for well under $300. (Trust me I just built 2 systems just like this for some friends of mine)

www.newegg.com

6. 5Gen_Prelude

You can't find a case, MB, RAM and a processor for 400? I wouldn't spend the money on the HD - I'd spend it on those 4 items and you can add a HD later if you scrounge. I can find a complete computer (albeit not the best), that includes keyboard, mouse, speakers... etc... everything except the monitor for 400 CANADIAN.

7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

well alright...here is what i can still use

i could use the case (obviously that seems to be holding me back from getting an assortment of motherboards)
    i could use my dvd drive
    i can use my firewire card and my external firewire burner
    i can use my 3dfx voodoo 3 3500 card (although i could use a new one...but that can defenitely wait seeing as i don't game at all)
    i can use my ethernet card, my sound card, my scsi card, and my video capture card...and 256mb of the ram is pc133 that i purchased recently and the other 256 is old and came with the computer...so i'm assuming i can save the new 256 and i'll buy another 512 or so

i might be able to scrounge up more than $400 but i want to get a nx genx-2 kit before i run my nitrous setup :(

eh...birthdays coming up...maybe i'll get a little money for that

so...can you guys give me prices on some good cheap whatever i will need??

for a case, i defenitely don't need anything in the least bit fancy...if possible, a front usb connection would be nice for my digi cam but not necessary...needs to have at least 2 slots for cd drives and obviously 1 for floppy

so i guess if anyone knows of a good case/motherboard/processor combo for really cheap and maybe a 512mb stick of pc133 ram for cheap, i would appreciate some links or something...direct links to the actual product would be appreciated since i don't know exactly what i should get

8. 5Gen_Prelude

I would strongly suggest you dump the PC133 and stick with DDR RAM. I didn't think it would make a huge difference (the FSB did too) but it did. I went from a 1.5 to a 2.0, but with a faster FSB and faster RAM it is noticeably different.