Need to tune up my g/fs computer -- suggest programs to download

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Green Bastard, May 23, 2006.

1. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

And install, and run to get her PC up to it's old self again.

Aside from reinstalling windows.

2. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

3. The Green Bastard

I have Spyware Doctor, and System Mechanic Pro downloaded...She's already got adaware and spybot.
    She defragged earlier today and it didn't make it any better. :hs:

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Use msconfig to cancel a lot of startup programs. And use a program like Registry Mechanic to clean her registry.

5. Kirby McSpic

Kirby McSpic New Member

Spykiller works fine too.

Get McAfee or AVG ? :dunno:

OH and Diskeeper Disk Defragmenter.

6. The Green Bastard

Running NOD32 Antivirus, and it's XP, so it's the same defrag as diskeeper.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Re-installing windows is the only proven-and-effective method.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Ad-Aware and Spybot.
    Spyware Doctor returns too many false positives. I've tried it. I returned some things about QuickTime as being spyware. It installed a service and then called it spyware, talk about F'ing stupid.

Careful with System Mechanic Pro
    Some of the things it changes in the registry for what it calls a security protection can unexpected results. Example; .REG file will open with Notepad.exe after SMP's security protection scan/repair. Personally I use a number of REG files from time to time to make changes to the registry and I just doubleclick on these files and click OK twice and I'm done....can't do that with a file that opens in Notepad.

However, PC Tools (the makers of Spyware Doctor) makes Registry Mechanic which is a great program for cleaning the registry.

I prefer PrefectDisk over DisKeeper. For me it did a much better job of a boot-defrag where it can defrag the pagefile (which is rare that it needs it) and defragging the MFT file which can only be defragged at boot and gets fragged often..MFT (Master File Type) is like a catalog of all of the files on the drive.
    Then after that running the SmartPlacement defrag/optimize the drive looks and acts a lot cleaner and faster.....the faster part is more noticable if the drive is heavily fragged first and then optimized.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yep. Windows just decays over time. No amount of defragging will help and piling on the utilities will only make it worse. Reload Windows + the apps you need + a good antivirus (not McCrappy or Norton) and you're set for another couple of years or so if you can resist installing everything on it you can find.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Can you be more specific about the kind of problems you're facing? Pop-ups? Viruses? Missing important files? Or just general slow performance?

11. The Green Bastard

It's not a new computer (800 P3 I think) but for what she neeeds it for, it was really fast, and worked great. But it's just getting boggy, slow to respond, etc.

12. JaJae

JaJae New Member

backup important stuff and reinstall windows.

13. deusexaethera

Reinstalling is always an effective option, because it wipes out any and all crap that has accumulated over the years, but with a P3-800 -- depending on how severe the slowdown is -- I'd be willing to bet a fair portion of the problem is just the massive number of updates that have been released for Windows XP since it came out. My workstation at work is a dual P3-1000 and over the course of the first couple days, while I was installing Windows and Office and all of their freaking updates, I noticed a marked slowdown in bootup, login, and program-start times. There may be no way to avoid that part of the slowdown on your g/f's computer, but (and I stress that I have no actual evidence of this) integrating Service Pack 2 into your install CD using a program like nLite (www.nlite-os.com) may improve performance somewhat.

As far as other software is concerned, your best friend is Google; open Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, do a Google search for every single program that you don't instantly recognize the name of, and uninstall it with much prejudice if the various self-help websites out there claim that the software has some unpleasant aspect to it.

Also, automatically uninstall any Web Search Toolbars or Web Buddies (even Yahoo and Google toolbars, at least for a while) that might be installed. Then open Internet Explorer's Tools menu, choose Options, and under the Advanced tab in the Options window, select the option called "Empty Temporary Internet Files When Browser Is Closed". This will keep massive quantities of crap from piling up on your g/f's hard drive. You should also empty her Recycle Bin.

Then start deleting icons out of the Startup folder in the Start menu. Way too many programs nowadays claim to need special "Startup Accelerators" that fire up as soon as the computer turns on, clogging up the RAM with bits and pieces of software your g/f may never use. Then, go to Start -> Run and type in MSConfig and run it. Go to the Startup tab in the System Configuration Utility and scroll through the list of programs scheduled to start when the computer turns on and uncheck anything that doesn't look really important (a virus scanner is important, QuickTime Tray Icon is not) -- you can always turn the settings back on later if you need to.

Finally, open My Computer, right-click on the hard drive, open the hard drive's Properties, and run a Disk Cleanup operation. After that is done and you've deleted whatever junk the Disk Cleanup found, defragment the hard drive.

This, yet another 85% solution that doesn't involve rebuilding your computer from scratch, was brought to you by deusexaethera. Hope it helps.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  14. Kirby McSpic

Kirby McSpic New Member

or just rebuild one.

15. deusexaethera

What do you mean by rebuilding as opposed to reinstalling in this context?

16. saberman3000

saberman3000 New Member

keylogger...to read her most personal email and chat :noes: