Need to transfer 400 megs from PC to iBook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by screename, Apr 25, 2004.

1. screename

screename Guest

I have researched the hell out of this, and still don't have a solid answer. I have almost .5 gig of files on my work laptop...and I need to burn them to CD. I don't have a burner in my work PC so I figured I'd send the files to my iBook where I can burn them.

My question is what's the best/easiest way to do this? Both the PC and iBook have wireless capability, and I've tried to send the files wirelessly (no luck).

I've also heard of connecting them via Ethernet cable, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I don't understand why it's so confusing. Anyone know how to do this (very simple directions, please).

2. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Make a share on the Windows box, mount the share from the Mac (just enter //netbiosname/share where "netbiosname" is that actual name of the system) and get the files. Or put an FTP or HTTP server on one of them and connect that way.

3. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

to use an ethernet cable directly, you need a crossover cable, which apparently crosses a couple of the wires so the computer can 'see' each other without a hub in the middle

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I was going to type it all out, but can explain it better http://macosx.org/osx_networking/
    Plain, simple and straight forward...also has pretty pictures

If the PC and Mac are WiFi or 1 is WiFi and the other isn't but is connected some how to a wireless access point (IE a linksys router that has WiFi), then the WiFi networking between the 2 will work just fine.