need to refurbish some old speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RedZ71, Sep 28, 2008.

1. RedZ71

RedZ71 Large Marge sent me.

my parents gave me their old speakers when they upgraded to something modern. these are the speakers that when they were off at church choir practice, i was raping the EQ (up up up down down down down) and playing sirmixalot for all the neighbors to hear.

so fast forward 20 years, and all the cones are rotten (they rarely played them, and never loudly...i was the only abuse they ever saw). the cabinets are pretty heavy (well, they do still both have the spakers in them), and im sure they will still sound great if i can get some new speakers in them.

so, where is the best place to get new speakers? how big of a deal is it that the original mounting holes line up with a replacement?

i guess i should pull the cones out, and make sure i buy the same ohm rating as their originals, to preserve the ohm configuration of the entire speaker?

im sure there isnt much to it, but id like to rebuild these boxes right and use them another 20 years.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Just make sure you get something with the same ohm rating and similar power handling (Or a bit higher but make sure its not extremely inefficient or something).