SRS Need to quit dipping. Advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MSIGuy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So I've been chewing tobacco for about the last two years and I'd like to stop now. Its something that I don't really like to do, but its so damned tough to quit. I'm going through about 3-4 cans a week, and its just time to stop.

I've been thinking about trying Nicorette gum because that'll help with having something in my lip as well as the nicoteen.

Basicly I'm asking if anyone else has any success stories or suggestions.

2. CBurgerjr

CBurgerjr League leading 49 HR in 1986.

Try the Tobacco "less" snuff.....It tastes ok and it doesn't have the nicotine in it.

3. I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS Looking is free but touching will cost ya. OT Supporter

I had a friend of mine that used to dip. He quit cold turkey. I remember he would say that he would get cravings for it and just not get another can. Hes been off of it for three years now. I dont belive he dipped as much as you but still worth a shot.. GOOD LUCK... any nicotine addiction is rough.

4. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Have you tried it? And where the heck would you get it? I've never seen such a thing, got a brand name?

5. TowTruck

TowTruck New Member

I did it for 5 years and quit by chewing gum. then I started again and cant or don't want to quit again. prepare to gain weight too. what is your flavor of choice???

6. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Nothing is Finer, than Carolina!

I quit dipping once, I just did it cold turkey. I just told myself that I WOULD NOT BUY ANOTHER CAN! I didn't for years, but for some damn reason I started back a while ago. I suppose I should quit again.

7. CBurgerjr

CBurgerjr League leading 49 HR in 1986.

Go to a local Grocery Store...That's where I found it..It really doesn't make much juice, but you get the taste and also you can have that feeling between you cheek and gum...

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

You got any pictures of the can?

I tried to quit a few days ago. I made it about 48 hours and then needed a serious attitude adjustment. When I get some place where I can I'm going to try nicorette I think.

9. buck588

buck588 Law School Sucks

Any luck, because I am in the same boat as you! I need to quit badly, been dipping for almost 7 years.

10. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

Seriously, why not just smoke cigarettes instead? I would rather have cancer in my lungs than have to have my entire jaw removed, I have seen some pretty nasty pics of what that shit can do to you. Heroin and Chewing tobacco are the only things I have never touched.

11. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Nicorette gum shpuld help out. It helped me quit smoking. It works like dip. You chew it to get it soft and tuck it between your cheek and gums like dip. You should only use it when you are really having a nic fit.

12. AlexC927

AlexC927 New Member

Not sure if this will help you but it sure helped me.

I smoked cigarettes for 11 years. GOt up to two and a half packs a day. Marlboro's.

I finally decided I had enough and had attempted quitting many times and failed miserably each time.

then one day someone gave me this book. Now you're gonna think I'm crazy but I read this book....and I simply quit.

Others may have heard of it since it's pretty famous and highly venerated.

It's called, Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking.

Sounds gay I know.....but it works......millions have quit from that book.
    It addresses smokers but i believe it may help those that dip as well since the addiction is a combination of oral fixation and nicotine dependency.

Cost me $15 to quit smoking for the rest of my life. I've been clean over two years now.

You can find it on Amazon or even Barnes & Noble.

None of the usual scare tactics or any of the other BS.

Read the book.....and thank me later.

Oh yeah...forget nicorrette gum or anything else that attempts to weanyou off of tobacco products. They simply do not work. Yes there are those who have quit from the use of products such as Nicorette and the like but......just read the book. It breaks it all down for you.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  13. Roscoe

Roscoe New Member

I dipped for almost 10 yrs. One day, I looked in the mirror and noticed that my gums had receeded just below that arch on the bottom of one of my teeth.

That was Oct 10, 2003. Haven't had a dip since.