MIL Need to cut down runtime by 2 min in 7 days

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wayney, Aug 5, 2005.

1. wayney

wayney New Member

I need to cut my runtime down by 2 minutes before I leave in 10 days... I took a PT test today and did the 2 mile in 18 min. I was dehydrated like a mug... I shouldn't have gone out the night before too w/ only 3 hours of sleep. :uh:

I plan on doing 1/4 mile sprint then 1/4 jog for 2 miles each morning and a 2 mile every afternoon and night to get my time down again... Any other suggestions? I maxed out the pushup and situps though. I do my first mile in 7 min but 2nd mile just kills me...

I know I can take asprin to help thin my blood but any other suggestions? My lowest runtime was 13:30 but lately it's been horrible...

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Drink at least 64oz a day in water. STOP DRINKING ALCOHOL for now.

3. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Well it sounds like you have the ability to make the run at a good time, but obviously the hydration factor is key. That can make such a huge difference.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

What does that do to help? :dunno:

5. citus

citus New Member

Do NOT take any type of medication before a run, unless you want to pass out. If you are struggling as it is, taking medicine such as asprin will not help you get your time down, it is very unhealthy for you to do that.

Hydrate and sprints, don't jog anything, run. You want to increase your run speed, not the distance that you run. Start by increasing your stride and run on the balls of your feet, do not "prance".

6. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

There isn't much you can do in 7 days to improve muscular or cardio wise. You would probably do more harm than good if you entered into a hardcore running program now. My advice is to hydrate, get some good rest, and be willing to endure the pain, and you could see a drastic improvement.

7. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Also, pace is everything. Be willing to sacrifice a few seconds per lap on the first couple laps in order to have more energy left on the remaining laps.

8. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

i run 13:12. just run the first mile as fast as you can and try to run the 2nd mile in under 7 minutes. (or whatever your goal is). drink a lot of water. get plenty of rest (the rest thing goes out the window once you get in the army.

9. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

just remember, there is a difference between pain and discomfort.

10. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

oh, and dont run more than 3 miles. running 4-5 miles at a slower pace isnt going to help you run 2 miles at a faster pace.

11. jung918

jung918 Member

All the above suggestions are great. i would say rest the last 2 days. The night before I usually stretch out. Then in the morning I stretch out again.

12. hooahrcr

hooahrcr Chris_Hearn

here is what you do:
    run 20 min out in one direction
    then run back as fast as you can for as long as you can until you throw up then jog home
    do this for a week and you drop more then 2 min

13. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Don't dip if you do. Drink lots of water and gatorade, and run at least 4 miles a day.

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

15. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Lol I read that to and am on that program, the swimming tips that was in another one of his articles are even better. As for the running goes Im with everyone else on the hydrating thing but especially on the no drinking till after the pft. Dumb question how is your breathing? Ive seen some ppl ty to turn running into an anaerobic exercise and breathe like shit but after working on breathing technique they shaved at least 30 secs off their runtimes.

16. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I asked the long distance runner in my SQ the same thing. He said just develop a pattern. I have found that when I feel like quitting, or I am not getting enough air, I breathe from my gut, using my abdominal muscles.