Need to communicate with a blood glucose device.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Nov 3, 2003.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I need to import data from blood glucose devices into my VB .NET / C# application. I'm going to start with the Accu-check lineup. I ordered the "universal cable". This "universal cable" is more like a hub, where blood glucose devices can hook into.

[​IMG]

The "universal cable" hooks directly into your computer via serial port.

[​IMG]

Communications on my machine is done through com port 1. I installed the Accu-check program, which was done in Visual Basic 6.0 and this program communicates with any Accu-chek device.

[​IMG]

It also allows you to update the current date/time that is within the device. So it also sends data to the device.

I need to do this, but I can't even start this. :(

I'll move this to the Computers/Programming forum in a bit.

2. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Write simple data capture program to see the format of how it sends data. Then work backwords from that.

Open the com port as binary.

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Yes, I would love to see the data being transferring to the com port from their software, but HOW? Open up HyperTerminal? I'd also love to the what they're sending to the com port to update the time/date of the device. This is proprietary technology. So there's no blue prints or documentation. At least, none that I can find. Basically, what you're saying is way too broad. I need real/specific information. :hs:

4. NeonWally

NeonWally Guest

Just get a gameboy :dunno:

5. KoukiS14

KoukiS14 New Member

fuck
    vbgod and hisxlnc = teh smert :eek3:

6. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

My BioE prof. is working on a biomems device that will constant record and log insulin levels :eek3:

7. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

.PHP? :dunno:

8. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

Vbgod = Professor Frink

9. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I haven't tried that serial port monitor, but it looks handy.

Back in the day, I'd just resort to a DOS terminal program. HyperTerminal just doesn't feel right (although there's probably better Windows based version out by now). The beauty of a terminal program is you can try mimicking the command sequences the device is looking for and you can watch the responses coming back.

This approach has its drawbacks. If the sequence uses extended ASCII characters or the sequence is timed, you'll have a difficult time. Otherwise, why not contact the manufacture to see what APIs they have available? If you already have the gadget installed, they may already have a DLL you could tap into. Just an idea...

11. KoukiS14

KoukiS14 New Member

how 'bout SecureCRT? Is that the kinda terminal program yer lookin' for? :dunno:
    was my fav, and had support for SSL.

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

SecureCRT designed to talk directly to a COM port?

13. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Thank you Astro! I went directly to Accu-Check and they do have a dev kit. Oh, they sell it, but that's ok. It's what I need.

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Hopefully its not outrages, but will help you produce a slick app which in turn will sell itself (which is what it sounds like you're doing).

I don't know if Accu-Check does it, but Palm had a dev section (I think it was free) and Palm developers could get deals on various Palm gadgets. I'm not sure if Accu-Check has a program like this, but it can be handy if they have various models you want to be able to handle and don't really want to pay full price (Palm's prices weren't overly exciting).