Need to buy some Drive Imaging software..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ScrapinSi, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

I am looking for a piece of software, similar to Norton Ghost. I need it to be Windows Based, and able to create image files of both Hard Drives, and Floppy Disks.

I have a few bootable floppies (Yes we still use floppies) that I would like to have image files of, instead of having to format the floppies as bootable, then unzip the zip file to the floppy.

I also have some custom unix setups for the PC's I work with, that I would like to have an image file for, so that when our genius customers don't shut down the PC correctly, and the kernel pukes, I can simply restore from the image file.

Any suggestions?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Any reason not to just use Ghost? I'm not sure if it does floppy images, but it images Unix machines just fine.

3. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

Ghost won't image floppies, and I'd like to have it as uniform as possible, because eventually the images will be put into a controlled workspace with part numbers assigned to them.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

5. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Not sure of anything that will do both. Acronis True Image will image from within windows. I prefer it to GHOST as it loads quicker and is more intuitive.

I know Nero will create a .img of a bootable floppy to which you can add files and create a bootable CD or DVD.

6. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

I think WinImage Pro is gonna be the way to go. I need a site licenseable program, and WinImage Pro comes with an unlimited distributable license.