need tips on regulating/controlling comp on home lan

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Oct 21, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

im adding a box to MY home lan for my sister, but she doesnt make the wisest decisions regarding what to install and what not. what would be the best way to limit and control what she is allowed to view/run/install?

i want to do it primarily through windows, not 3rd party software.

i browsed through the group policy stuff, but didnt really find anything. i want my lan to stay clean without me having to go in and wipe a ton of shit off the drive every week. i dont want her installing anything off the net. i dont want her installing just about anything. if it needs to be installed, ill do it. none of this webshots, weatherbug, yahoo im, kazaa, bullshit.

id like to keep track of and control what she runs, where she goes. not anally, but an overview. i dont need a keylogger or anything like that. i just want the box locked down.

i know a good amount, she knows very little, so im not terribly concerned with her figuring out how to get around the things i set up

thanks for your help!

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Create a user account on the machine with less priviliges?

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

sounds like a similar situation i'm about to be in with my grandfather-in-law. we got him a new computer, and i'm trying to think of exactly how to make it harder to screw up, and easier to use.

of course... the first step in that was getting him off his 5 year old POS box running Win98 that blue screened every 5 minutes! lol.

a limited user account should definatley be a first line of defense. i do not know what kinda other BS might still be able to get installed or whatnot via spyware/adware even when on a limited account. i've never really fucked with them that much.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You're sister is getting a computer and it's going to be connected to the LAN to share the internet connection.
    Well for most part as long as file sharing isn't turned on then it shouldn't effect anyone else on the network.

But prevention is the key as well. Before it even gets connected to the network; install a good anti-virus (AVG, AntiVir and Avast each have a free version and are very good), install SpywareBlaster and get it set to enable all protection, install Ad-Aware and Spybot.
    Once all of those are installed, then connect it to the net and get them each updated. Turn on Spybot's TeaTimer which should help stop from being installed, Ad-Aware has Adwatch which does the same thing but you have to pay for the Pro to get that feature.

5. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

why not just create a user account on her comp and password protect the admin account?

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yup.

Or make it a Linux box. If all she needs to do is use the internet and do word processing and such, then Linux will work just as well as Windows and you don't have to worry about her installing shit because a) her non-root account won't be able to install stuff, b) most of the bad stuff doesn't run on it anyway and c) even if it does, she won't be able to figure out how to install it.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well, when I opened this thread I thought of two ideas: run linux and/or make a restricted account. Glad to see the good people of OT got the knee-jerk answers out of the way for me. :bigthumb:

Don't make the computer idiotproof. Make your sister not an idiot. Let her fuck it up and show her how to fix it, and if she can't fix it then re-image the hard drive with the backup you made right before you gave the computer to her. Have her keep her documents on a USB drive or something, so they don't get wiped.

8. 01000101

01000101 New Member

yeah, im certainly going to do it as a limited account.

and nod32, zonealarm, spybot, adaware, and msft antispyware are already on the list

im pretty sure im set with that, but i didnt know if there was something i was over looking.

thats a really good point deus, i hadnt thought at it from that angle. what would you recommend for imaging, btw?

thanks all

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

MSBackup does a competent job, and it makes bootable restore disks, but Norton Ghost is a better product overall. Either one should work well enough.