need tips on cutting/toning problem areas v.PIC

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by aesthetic, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aesthetic

aesthetic New Member

problem areas have always been my lower stomach and lower sides/obliques.. seems like even when i train harder, these spots tend to be the hardest to shape/trim. any advice on exercises that help with these parts? i have a pretty good amount of information.. but i want to see if there are any tips or golden rules that have helped some of you.

i know diet has alot to do with it too, and im not a calorie counter.. but i do pay attention to what i buy when i shop and what i eat.. i dont drink soda, i do drink on weekends (probably my biggest set back).. and i do about 15-30 minutes of cardio after my work outs, which are about 1-1.5 hours on average depending which muscle group im doing.. typically treadmill or elliptical.

[​IMG]

dont mind the messy mirror its from wiping the steam cause im impatient :o

2. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

What's the problem you're having? You look to be around 10-12% bodyfat...if you want your abs to be more visible, you need to cut. Start counting calories, do HIIT on your off days, and clean up your diet. Cutting carbs when activity is low and replacing these meals with protein/fat meals will help a lot, but getting your calorie balance down is important.

Ab/core exercises won't help you...your abs and obliques already have decent size and getting them any bigger will just look retarded. You simply need to lose the fat that's covering everything up.

You can do all the cardio you want. If you're not in a caloric deficit, and you're out drinking every weekend, don't expect good results.

3. aesthetic

aesthetic New Member

mainly its just my lower stomach from the side is a bit of a pouch look.. not TOO drastic, but of course im my own worst critic.. and also my lower obliques seem to not be as tight as they can be, for example, when i push a few fingers onto them, its a good half inch before i hit muscle.. so i just really want to trim those areas down as much as can.. or at least to match my upper abs and look consistent.

i will look into the HIIT for sure.. i see people doing it here and there and never really learned which intervals to use on which machines.. i will also keep a record of calories from now on, because i find that keeping logs was a HUGE help to get me to where i was.

4. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

clean diet homie

5. aesthetic

aesthetic New Member

yeah im gonna have to learn i guess.. i usually just "try to make wise choices" but i need to learn the basics of everything first.. maybe ill take a nutrition class at the local community college.. i know its all stuff i can learn online, but i think just doing an easy class would be more beneficial. what do you guys think? :dunno:

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

fuck wise choices...sit down, plan your diet out and track everything that you fucking eat/drink...

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I took a nutrition class at GA Tech and the prof said my kidneys were going to explode from eating 150+g protein a day and I was going to die of mercury posioning by age 30.

she was 5' and shaped like a bowling ball

8. aesthetic

aesthetic New Member

any particular plans you have tried? i wouldnt know where to start

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

the diet in the BB'er sticky is a good place to start

10. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

not necessary but it'd help

in my opinion, the best thing to do is just write down everything you eat a day and then add up your calories, carbs, fats and protein... then from there, you'll know what you need to cut back on, what you need to increase, etc etc..... if you want to lose fat, then go with a high protein, moderate to high fat, low carb diet.... when I mean low carb, I don't mean under 20g's a day either...

11. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

this also

12. aesthetic

aesthetic New Member

i will check it out for sure

this might sound really noobish.. but how about things like chicken, rice, etc.. how would i count the exact calories, carbs, fats and proteins on say, a breast of chicken? also, if i wanted to lose fat, what numbers should i try to hit? i know its different for everyone, but based on being 6'0" and 200lbs right now.. not sure of BF%.. but if i could have a "goal" of where to keep my numbers after recording each day, i would at least have a starting point

13. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

use a tracker like fitday.com or dailyplate.com

it will take some time to custom your own foods, but the existing databases are huge.

as for cutting, you should be consuming 85% of the calories required for your BMR

14. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

as said already, calculate your bmr (basal metabolic rate, its how calories you need per day at rest) .. here's where to do that

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

once you have your #, then start aiming for that calorie total if you're working out pretty often and decently...if not, then drop it down... if you're not losing any, then drop it further down.. (hence why it's necessary to see how many you're eating a day)

as far as how to count... look at the nutrition facts on the back of foods bro :rofl:.. you might have to start measuring and weighing foods out a bit... write down how much you're consuming, then add up :).... also as said by bacchus, fitday.com helps with this

15. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

yep.

seems like a pain in the arse at first, but you get the hang of how much you're eating. eventually you'll be able to eye it.

16. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

If you have a sloppy/nonprecise diet right now, a tight/quality diet could have you ripped inside of 6 weeks EASY

post your:
    diet, cardio routine, weight routine, fat burners (if any)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.