Need suggestions...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 2DR Vette, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 2DR Vette

2DR Vette We don't freestyle the Eyes of Texas, Big Boy.

OK- here's the deal- I'm looking for a decent daily beater that can still tow a 22' Fish/ski and haul around an engine or tranny if need be. 4WD would be a VERY nice extra. I'm willing to take some hits on body damage, or general condition as long as it's mechanically sound. And it will probably be my daily driver.

That said, my budget is ~$5000-$6000. What would you buy?

I'm leaning towards an older Chevy/GMC Z71 1500 with higher miles, but that's only because I'm a big fan, and I havent' looked into it very hard yet... (I'm sure they'll be out of my price range :o)

2. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I'd not go with the Z71 if I were you, due to the extra height it may present an issue when towing the boat as those trailers are fairly low.
    Personally, I'd get a F-250, or a Chevy 2500 in your case. The extra power and load capabilities would definitely be a bonus when towing, and hauling engines around would be easy work.

3. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

My uncle has a 95 z-71 with the 6.5l (I think) turbo diesel in it, primarily uses it to haul his boat (can't remember what size, I know it's a bit larger than 22') and he dosn't have a problem with the trailor being too low. Good luck on finding what you need though :)

4. wfo

wfo "Delivers Ultimate Traction"

2wd trucks tow much more than 4wd trucks. I wouldn't get a 4wd unless you really needed it. But something that is powerful and long will be your best bet for pulling a trailer.

5. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

73-87 chevy 1 ton crew cab 4x4 with a 454, sm420 and a np205, rear 14 bolt and front dana 60

6. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

You'll be all right with what you are looking at. As long as its still stock height you should have no trouble with a trailer. The only bad thing about Z-71 is ride quality. Other than that I've not heard any complaints about them.

7. 2DR Vette

2DR Vette We don't freestyle the Eyes of Texas, Big Boy.

Are the Z71 and the older crew cab still within my $5-6k price range? I haven't looked around at truckl pricing lately, so...

Thanks for the advice ya'll! :wavey:

8. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Used Ram with a Cummins diesel would be the ticket for you, good luck finding a 4x4 in your part of the country though.

9. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

not likely to find a dodge like that for 5-6K. pre 94 cummins are rare.

Jeeps: He's not going to do to it what we do to it, he doesn't need bulletproof internals :p

Your best bet is a 73-87 Silverado. Still around in great numbers everywhere, mostly 4x4s. Avoid the 305, look for a 350 or 400 small block, since the 400s parts are interchangeable with the 350 performance aftermarket. 5-6K will net you a very nice specimen of that era, with fairly low mileage. I daresay you'll have to look for awhile to find one that expensive.