Need suggestions on HT receiver.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Dec 31, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Not sure where to start. I'll try to just hit the high points and hopefully get things rolling.

Current system:
    Onkyo 575x
    JBL N24's (2 front, 2 rear)
    JBL N-center
    Sony subwoofer
    Insignia DVD player
    Comcast cable box
    36" tube tv.

Future upgrade:
    New receiver (undecided)
    Samsung 46"/52" LCD (not 100% decided)
    JBL N24's (2 front, 2 rear)
    JBL N-center
    Sony subwoofer
    Wii (got it for xmas)
    Insignia DVD player (might get a blu ray depending on how much tv/receiver cost)
    Comcast HD box

So, as you can see I need some opinions. Mainly on the receiver. I know I need hdmi switching but not sure if there's anything else that I have to have. Looking for a decent mid-level receiver around ~$500. Less is better though.

I considered the Onkyo 606 but have read alot of negatives about it. Also considered a Denon or two (can't recall the model # offhand). Looked at the HK 254 as well. Basically I am overwhelemed with all the options/newer technologies out there. Suggestions????

I have not decided on a tv but I need to go look at them and then will probably have several questions.

Speakers will not change out at this time. They are not top of the line but will have to do for the time being.

BluRay would be nice but it's not a necessity now.

Cliffs - Upgrading current system. Need opinions on a receiver somewhere around $500.

2. David02

David02 Guest

What negatives have you heard about the Onkyo 606?

It's pretty much the best entry level receiver on the market right now. For the money, it really can't be beat.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

DAvid
    In all fairness it's been a few weeks since I read the negatives about the 606. I do seem to remember talk about heating as well as an audible "pop" in sound at certain times.

Also soething about the picture going out when switching video inputs. BUt I am not here to spread mis information. As I said I am trying to remember where I saw this info at but I am 95% sure it was AVS forums.

Do you have the 606?

The more I read about every receiver the more bad stuff I see. :mad:

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

yeah, that's the denon I was thinking of. There's another model (789 or something??) that is basically the same specs but a few differences.

I looked for it on BB site and it doesn't appear to be in stock. I would like to take a look/listen to one even though it's a bit more than I want to spend.

Please update me and let me know your impressions.

What are you going to be connecting to it if you don't mind me asking?

5. David02

David02 Guest

I have the 605. It's the previous version of the 606. Only about a year old and very similar to the 606.

It is a great receiver for the money. It does everything I need it to do, and have performed problem free since day 1.

That is pretty much the way it goes with entry level electronics... people tend to write reviews only when they have a problem with stuff. If it works as it should, they don't bother to go and write anything positive because that's what they expected in the first place. Every piece of electronics are going to have a few that fail/don't work properly... you just have to hope yours isn't one of those.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:cool:

I've been scouring the AVS forums and that denon thread for a few days as well as Onkyo/HK threads. I think my brain hurts from thinking too much.

You think there would be any issues running a 7.1 receiver but only 5.1 speakers??? Do you just leave the other 2 channels disconnected?

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

did you happen to get it yet?

Just being nosey. :wiggle:

8. cacique78

cacique78 Member

The automated setup will work. It will automatically detect that you have no speakers in the surround rear.

While the Denons are great (I still have use a 2105 in my setup) also consider the Yamaha RXV 663 or if you need a little bit more juice the 863.

You can find great deals on the 663 just about anywhere.

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Glad to hear it Sam. I'm really considering the 1909. Wife wants to wait until after taxes to make the TV purchase and receiver. I'm fighting off the urge as best I can.

Keep me informed if you have any issues, etc.

Edit: Another question. Did you order it through a BB store that doesn't carry it in store? Just curious because my BB doesn't carry it but a local Home Audio place does and it's only $495. I just dislike the place and would rather get it from BB if they would pricematch. I'm just not sure if:
    A. They will order it for me because they don't carry it in store.
    B. They will poricematch a local store after ordering it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  10. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I definetely agree with that statement and hate that fact...

I currently use my gf's DuraBrand surround for my audio and am considering getting that same Onkyo, the 606.

I was thinking of getting it, 2 Polk M20 floor speakers, and unsure about the subwoofer. I need to go listen to stuff in the store more before I decide.

As for a TV purchase, I was leaning towards the Sony XBR-6 40", but again, I'm really undecided. I currently have a 32" Samsung CRT HD TV.

Let us know which receiver you end up getting, why that one, and how you like it...

11. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Well, I finally ordered everyhting.

Went with the Denon 1909. Looking through the AVS threads I really am intimidated on the set-up of it but hopefully can get through it.

Also ordered a SAmsung 52" LCD.

Ordered MOunt and cables from monoprice.

Everything should be in by Thursday I think. Will hopefully put it all together over the weekend.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

used onkyo sr805

13. negative zero

negative zero New Member

already made my choice. :x:

14. S_rangeBrew

S_rangeBrew Member Since 2001. My account got screwed up.

Good choices on all of it. The Audyssey Dynamic EQ is a must-have, it allows you to hear the surround effects at low volume. Denon is a respected brand. I'd get one myself, but I want pre-outs, so I probably end up spending bucks for the Denon 2809 or Onkyo 876.

Samsung currently makes the best LCDs, even better than Sony this gen. I just got an 52" A580, and it's a good set for the price.

Have fun with it! It's awesome that a great Home Theater is actually affordable these days! :coolugh:

15. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Well, Best Buy screwed up my TV order. I called on the day it was supposed to be delivered and only then did I find out (after 30 minutes of being on hold and transferred) that they couldn't get the TV i wanted until March 7th. :madfawk:

So, they finally came down on the price of a more expensive model to waht I was willing to pay. It's the one I wanted originally so it kinda works out. Just reading the huge threads over at AVS has me a little worried of the issues the set might have. :noes:

EDIT: The receiver, mount and cables should all be in today according to UPS tracking. :x:

16. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Sam

Finally got my 1909 and having some issues right off the bat :o.

First, like you, the volume seems low. I have not run Audyssey yet. I am simply trying to connect my cable box and my dvd player (each are hdmi) to the 1909. I got my cable box working but the volume seems low to me. Can you describe to me (or tell me where in the manual) it lets me disable Zone 2? I don't know if that's my problem but since I am only running 5.1, I would like to give it a shot.

Also, my dvd player does not play audio/video. I have it plugged into the hdmi DVD input on the rear of the 1909. When I go into the 1909 menu I can hear the dvd audio?????? I just can't see it. Then when I exit the on screen menu, i get nothing.

have any ideas?