WEB Need suggestions on best way to do this.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Anudist, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Anudist

Anudist Turnin' Jesus on, one lightswitch at a time.

I feel kind of dumb for asking this, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about doing this migration.

I did a server migration to a new hosting service for a company's website and now they are wanting to do an email account migration as well. Normally, not a big deal, but there's a catch.

Problem: [email protected] (example) is currently being hosted using Gmail Apps, when I did the server migration I had to change the DNS MX settings so that it would point to Gmails email servers, as that's where the accounts are hosted, and setup a subdomain to point to the Apps login page as that's what they had setup beforehand, why, I don't know.

Now, they want to have [email protected] hosted at the new hosting service as well so that it's all run through the same service and not having to use a third party for the email server. I know how to make the changes for the accounts, but I don't know of the best way to migrate the actual emails.

I was thinking of just creating a backup through outlook and importing them individually (there are 5 or so accounts that need to be moved) when the DNS settings are changed, but I'm sure there has to be a better way to do that. Since they are going to be the exact same email address, just different servers, I'm just not sure how to take care of the actual files.

Any suggestions? I feel retarded for asking, but this isn't my particular area of expertise.

2. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

Is it control panel to control panel?

3. Anudist

Unfortunately, no.

4. Swift

Do you know if it's mbox or maildir? I never done what you're asking, but I have some ideas/suggestions that could possibly work. :noes:

5. Anudist

No clue, to be honest. Their hosting package is with Network Solutions, they have like 7 websites for their various subsidiaries listed under there with nearly all of their email accounts hosted there.

Previously this website was hosted on a marketing companies server, I'm not sure how it was all setup but they had Joomla installed with a MySQL database, they seemed to only have installed Plesk when I asked for an FTP service.

6. Swift

I would ask them for the technical details on how the mail is stored, then you can start some research on how to move it. I wish I could help more :(

7. Anudist

Yeah, I'll have to go to NS about that, I was just thinking someone would know better than I what to do here. It's really funky how they used google apps for the email and nothing else, just doesn't make much sense at all.

Oh well, means more money for me :mamoru:

8. Swift

lol

9. Anudist

For what it's worth, Network Solutions is a pile of shit hosting service.