GUN Need suggestions on a good rifle for target shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 95Z, Sep 23, 2002.

1. 95Z

95Z Guest

I'm looking for a bolt-action rifle I can take target shooting...probably a .22 (or something with relatively cheap ammo). Any suggestions?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

a ruger. cheap, easily customized. if you wanted to step up to .223, there are tons of manufacturers. savage makes a varminter which you could get with a heavy fluted barrel, i believe, and you could get an aftermarket stock for that thing, and you'd be set.

7.63x39 ammo is cheap, but i'm not sure how many rifles that fire that will be a)bolt action or b)the best for good target shooting. i know my sks is accurate, but compared to the other things available for a low cost in other calibers, it's not that great.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The Ruger 10/22 is a favorite semi-auto .22 rifle with lots of aftermarket accessory support.

If you have your heart set on a bolt action, check the Marlin 880 or the Ruger 77/22.

4. nordaim

nordaim Guest

Just to up the count on these recommendations, I would recommend the 77/22. If you can find one in .22 Hornet (I believe they made some in that wildcat), you have a great round for accurate shooting that can also be used effectively against light varmints.

As for a 7.62x39 (which has really cheap, fairly reliable ammo), spend some money and get a CZ bolt-action in 7.62x39. They run around $400-500 but are nice rifles and you can get a case (1000rds) of 7.62 ammo for ~$100.

5. footratfunkface

ha, where in the world are you? at the last gun show here in the atlanta area, i got 1000 rds. for $63.

6. footratfunkface

ha, where in the world are you? at the last gun show here in the atlanta area, i got 1000 rds. for $63.

oh, and here's one of the savages i was talking about. they're available in .223 and .22-250 if you're looking for a smaller caliber. there are also many other calibers that these come in, just look at the specs. and i doubt that they'll go for quite as high as the suggested retail of $616.

http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire/varmint/12bvss.htm

7. footratfunkface