Need suggestions for speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Iateallthecookies, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Iateallthecookies

Iateallthecookies somewhere else

So, I need new speakers for my car because one of the rear ones went out so I'm doing the whole setup. I have 6 1/2" round speakers all around in my car (2001 Nissan Altima), but the rear speakers don't even have grill holes cut into the rear deck and they just sit underneath it. Do you guys think it would be possible if I could maybe get some 6x9" speakers since if I got new ones anyway I would have to cut out holes for them anyway?

I'm willing to spend up to 300 bucks on the whole setup and I was also thinking about getting a new head unit (maybe something with a remote) but I want to start on the speakers first. So, any suggestions?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

6.5" > 6x9. CDT CL-6x

3. Iateallthecookies

I just thought that 6x9's would probably look better in the rear deck but would it be an installation problem at all though if I were to get 6x9's or some other speakers since I have to get holes cut anyway? How much do the CDT's run for and where can i look at some?

4. Iateallthecookies

The assistance I've received is quite lacking, but anyway I talked to a friend of mine who works in Best Buy that gets a substantial employee discount so I'm looking at two different Alpine setups.

Alpine Type S setup

Front: Alpine 6-1/2" Coaxial 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones
    200 watts peak power (40 watts RMS)
    [​IMG]

Back: Alpine 6" x 9" 3-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones
    250 watts peak power (50 watts RMS)
    [​IMG]

Total Cost: Around $235.00 without discount

Alpine Type R setup

Front: Alpine 6-1/2" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Hybrid Fiber Cones
    250 watts peak power (50 watts RMS)
    [​IMG]

Back: Alpine 6" x 9" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Hybrid Fiber Cones
    275 watts peak power (55 watts RMS)

[​IMG]

Total Cost: Around $350 without discount

So what do you guys think? I'm not exactly sure how the employee discount works with him but he's pretty much paying cost if not a little more. I like the Type-R's a little better but they're a lot more expensive with a minimal margin of difference in quality. If I could get away with them for under $250 though that would be more than satisfying to both my budget and my taste in sound.

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

just get good front speakers, and don't worry about rears. Type-S is crap. Type-R isn't much better. Jollyogre is right CDT CL-6x is better than both, but their are some other decent options out there. Look online for speakers, they will be chepaer than bestbuy with the discount. Maybe some Lower end boston stuff would work, they sound pretty decent.