Need sugestions ~5.5k budget

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChrisGST, Feb 12, 2010.

1. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

Posted this in the main forum with little success:

So the snow storm caused a tree from my lawn fell on both of my cars and totaled them. They were a 1995 Eclipse GST (16g, dsmlink and a FMIC RIP ) and a 1993 XLE Camry (Daily Driver). Now I haven't had the insurance appraiser come by yet but I expect to get around 2k-2.5k for each of them. I also hope to some how buy back or steal parts off the GST to give me a potential ~1g added to my budget. So I plan to spend all the money I get from insurance/parting out my car to purchase a new one. Now I want it to be decently reliable and preferably an older import. I bought my GST when I was 16 and made it quick, but now that I have a 600 RR I don't really need a "quick" car, but I don't want one as boring as the Camry was. So around 200hp would be cool with me.

Right now the cars I'm looking at are
    1. Integra GSR
    2. Subaru Impreza RS/WRX (that might be pushing it)
    3. Civic SI
    4. Another DSM that car was a headache though and I don't know it I want to do that again.

I need some ideas it's been a long time since I went car shopping and I feel most of the cars I liked have become pseudo collectors items or in short supply due to the Fast and Furious back in the day. I want it to be 4-6k, turbo would be nice but not required, sporty and relatively reliable. I consider myself to be mechanically inclined, but not extremely so and I don't have lots of money to spend on parts so I don't want a high maintenance car or one that needs a rebuilt engine ect. HALP!

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

510 or a 240/260/280Z

</datsuncrew>

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Maybe a MKII MR2 turbo. You would be at the higher end of your budget to find a clean one that was not ragged on and could be reliable.

Also maybe a STOCK 240SX for $2-3K, then spend the rest on getting it 100% reliable and suspension upgrades. Won't be fast, but should handle nicely and the KA engines are very reliable, even with light mods.

4. D21X

D21X Ownz JOO

Civic or Integra. Both are very easy to fix and there are tons of parts out there. Any information you need for them is easily found online also.

5. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Could always go with a 7M supra. Replace the head gasket and you're good to go.

7. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

Id skip the Integra and Si.....too much of a target for theft.You can find RSX's for cheap if you look around...but probably more like 7k...Look around for a Mazda MX6, or a Miata if you dont mind a two seater.

8. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

GC 2.5rs would be badass but they are slow and kind of overpriced. The 98 2.5rs had the dualcam engine which was prone to head gasket popping.

I can't in good conscience recommend an old datsun or for that matter a DSM since you don't want to be working on it all the time.

Currently there are tons of great deals on swapped 240's or Hondas. Both of which would be fun. How much maintenance you have to do equates to how bad the car was beat.

If you want a fun car that is affordable I agree with one of the other posters who recommended a miata.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

you aren't going to have to work on an old datsun all the time to keep it running, especially if it's stock. All I have to do for my DD 240Z that I wouldn't have to do on a more modern car is check valve lash every few months, and adjust the idle when the gas formula changes for the winter blend. Takes maybe 15 minutes.

10. lathrash

lathrash New Member

11. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I have to go with the S13 rec... you can either scour around for a clean CA or SR swapped car owned by someone who knows their shit, or get a stock car for much less and have like $3k to freshen up and fix every little thing that will be wrong on any older car, and make basic upgrades. My advice, if you're buying an old car just save yourself the drama and account for this in your budget, do it all on a blitz and have a reliable great driving car.

I'm also biased, obviously :hs: ...but if there was another old cheap import I liked more I would have bought it. There isn't.