GUN Need something like this.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HMan, Nov 13, 2007.

1. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I need a chart/card that basically quickly shows what each click on a 1/4 MOA scope will affect at various distances.

I'm not great with math at ALL and it would speed things up for me greatly if I would have a chart like this.

I saw a card once at the range that did that and more but I don't remember where it was gotten.

2. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

3. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

4. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Just glanced through thus far. Not really what I'm looking for but thanks for the info anyway.

5. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I can't sleep, so I fired up Excel :dunno:

[​IMG]

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

http://www.mildot.com/
    it's specific to using a mil-dot reticle, but it'll give you the same idea... if you're just looking for compensation, or how many clicks to go, it's best to make up a table, and tape it to your stock.

7. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Nice. That is simple and to the point.

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

the math really isn't that hard :o

9. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

My thing in school was science, english and literature.

Math was my weakest point and I don't mean by a little bit.

That being said, yeah, given time I can do the math and have been. However, when I'm sitting next to the other guy and he's making me look horrible because he's an idiot (ok, not an idiot but not the brightest crayon) but a math wiz I feel like a fucking nitwith when he's getting his shots off MUCHO faster than I am.

Wasn't sure a good way to make a chart to have with me.

10. Goat

oh I understand, math's always been my Achilles heel too, but for some reason I've never had a problem with scope adjustments :hs:

it's fucked me over a few times throughout my education though :o

11. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I'm relatively new to the whole scope/MOA thing. I tried out for the position just so I could shoot the rifle. Ended up outshooting everyone else, was sent to marksman academy, and here I sit as one of the two marksman on the team.

Unfortunately, I fall behind him when it comes to shooting timed because it takes me a lot longer to run the math in my head than it does him.

Frustrating because I know I'm not stupid but I sure look like it when everyone else is watching.

12. Goat

so are you an LEO or in a crazy militia?

13. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I should add that I've been shooting rifles most of my life (owned my first when I was around 5. However, iron sites and kentucky windage/elevation was always my method of accuracy (and its always worked great) but when you train to shoot a nostril... well, it was time to learn a new technique.

14. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

WAS a police officer and I guess technically still am (as a full responsibility reserve unit) but I took some time off to deal with a few things in my life that have me stressed right now.

Full time I'm with corrections and on the facility E-Squad unit.

I'm not going to say a lot more about THAT because they get awfully testy with anyone posting publicly about them its akin to talking to the media which is a big no-no.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

well, if you are looking for a bullet drop table, you are going to have to do that yourself for your rifle and loads :o

16. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I'm not shooting at the ranges that make that necessary. In my line of work, we control the environment (if not, something has gone horribly wrong) and we can usually get close. I think the longest range that I've calculated is just a hair over 300 yards and my rifle shoots pretty darn flat up to and beyond that range.

17. Goat

I'm the opposite, I've used a scope predominately and have never really had a chance to use anything with irons except on rare occasions. Kinda sucks really :hs:

18. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I'd tell you some of the shots I've made in my lifetime but you'd think I as lieing so I'm not going to go there. Doubly so since those shots were done with open sights.

That being said, I've seen amazing things done with a scope, experienced shooter, and the knowledge to use said scope and rifle. Things I'll NEVER be able to do with iron sights OR scope as I just don't think I'm capable.

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

oh come on, now you gotta tell us...

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18″ bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

seriously, the best thing to do, is to make up a ballistics table for your particular load, and tape it to your rifle stock or scope cover. I took a deer at 402 yards, shot through the lungs, and i wouldn't have been able to do it without knowing the ballistics table, and knowing the range. I looked at the ballistics table for correct range adjustment, adjusted scope, put crosshairs on deer's killzone and pulled the trigger...dead deer.

Now granted i know that killzone shots on deer, and boomheadshots on humans are different, but the concept is the same.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

never gets old :bowrofl:

23. Goat

:werd:

I love that :rofl: