Need some suggestions on a truck...sub $10k

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Apr 22, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I'm lookin for a truck, an hoping to buy in a couple months, more or less. Preferably Chevy, Dodge, and maybe Ford, (in that order). I've always been a Chevy guy, same with my family, and I like Dodge, and I really have no preference towards Ford. I've been looking around and I can get around a 98 Silverado 4x4 ext cab for around 10k. I was originally going to get a car, but for the same price I can get myself a nicer truck, plus 4x4, which will be nice for winter driveing, and off roading :naughty:
    I'd like to get something that makes 15mpg + if possible, I drive one of my dads trucks once in awhile, 83 Chev w/350ci oversized cams, lift kit, 31in tires, and man what a gas hog, I think I pulled off 11 on average and made 15 once when I got lucky. but I have my doubts.. I love that truck though :drool:
    Anyway, I want something that can haul ass, get up an go when I need to, and with some decent gas milage if possible. I'm thinking 99 is going to be the newest I can afford.
    I would just like to get some opinions on different models, how the Dodge compare with the Chevy's, etc.

Also, just curious who makes the best exhaust system? I've always liked flow master, but I'm open to suggestions. Mods planned are going to be cold air intake, dual exhaust system, 31in + for tires and a decent lift, and a decent front grill. Thanx

Stealth -

2. StealthMode

Alright, thanks for the suggestions. My friends dad has a white 98 Silverado ext cab, 35in tires, 8 in lift, dual exhaust and a fiew other mods. Not sure of the engine size though, forgot to ask at the time. He buys an sells newer trucks in good shape, and fixes them up. I can get the truck for $8k. If I had the money right now that is ;) Going to keep looking, by the time I have the money he will probably have something else I will be interested in.
    Thanks again

Stealth -

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

If you get a Chevy make sure you get a 350, they have a good track record. As for what truck to get go with a Chevy if thats what you like. Newer trucks with few or no mods should easily get 15+ MPG. As for the exhaust get it if you like the sound but don't bet on much performance, I too like the Flowmaster and have one on my F150. Keep in mind that the mods you plan, especially the lift will rob you of some hp. Very few bolt on mods really give any hp gains that are noticable.

4. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I won't disagree on the 305 but it would probably be easier to find a 350.

I have a newer V8 truck and regularly get 15-16MPG, all the while with my foot mashed to the floor on a regular basis.

For the muffler it depends on what sound you like. I like the Flowmaster sound, Gibson is also good sounding.

10-15 hp are easily attainable with these mods, I never said they were not, but lets face it, that is a negligable difference. You probably will barely tell any difference. To make real performance mods the tranny and engine need beefed up, but that costs allot of money. What I'm saying is that do not think these mods will make you faster; combined with a good computer chip there may be some difference. But I would only add these type of mods for cosmetics and sound. Otherwise you're better off saving your money and doing some real mods. It all depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend to get there.

5. StealthMode

Thanks guys. Mods I was thinking of first off were as you suggested, intake, chip and the truck already has a custom exhaust as it is. Although I am unsure as to what system is installed. At some point, possibly next summer I would like to add a better cam. Won't be this summer though, will be too busy paying off the truck as fast as I can. Assuming I end up buying it, atm I am not liking to pay over $2.00 a gallon...and this is just for a car.. We will see what happens I guess.

As far as engine mods go, I've heard mixed opinions on headers, and it's only worth it if you do heavy engine mods, and others say you can gain another 15hp from headers alone. I'm just curious as to what all I could do to get more tourque out of it. I suppose I could stroke it to a 383 ;), but money is an issue :p Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, and I just realized how much of a n00b I came off in my first post LOL Go figure, anyway, I guess thats what excitement will do to a guy ;)
    Thanks again!

Stealth -