need some suggestions for an reciever/amp...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xxpanipuri, Jun 20, 2005.

1. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

I have a pair of dcm kx 10 loud speakers from 1996.

I wanna match them with a good STEREO reciever/amp....

i'm doing some research on this....

some of my friends suggested an older amp from 60-70's...

such as a sansui 2000x or something older from the 60's

any suggestions on this?

i just need clean powerful stereo sound!

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

my hk3480 puts out clean stereo sound, not sure if anyone has arguements to say otherwise, only thing i dont like about it is that it doesnt have a great cross over, (u cant set your speakers to big or small, etc) its automatic when sub is detected, its rated output is 120 wattx2 channels so its relatively high powered and i only paid 275 bucks for it. (MSRP is 450)

thats my personal experience and its a primarily happy one, denon and rotel also make stereo receivers, and so does yamaha. do some research and check out some places like www.audioreview.com

hopefully somebody else on this forum will be able to give you some tips and suggestions.

i dont know much about amps other than that they can get spendy so sorry i cant give you any help there :hs:

3. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if you really want something thats vintage then go for it, cant really lose for 75 bucks

5. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

A vintage receiver might be a nice way to go, but if you want something newer I'd suggest an NAD integrated amp. Your speakers should be pretty sensitive so even an amp with 30-50 watts will be more than adequate. With DCMs you definitely want to try and find an amp or receiver with a softer sound. British stuff (such as NAD) tends to be a little gentler.

6. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Teac AL700-P
    Needledoctor.com still has em.

Check www.audiocircle.com

$100 dollars

Or check out the Sonic Impact 5066, cheaper, not as gutsy, but assuming you have efficient speakers >90db, you should be just dandy.

7. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

I love vintage gear. I think the newest receiver/amp I use regularly is my HK Surround unit. Other than that, all of mine were built pre 1980, most in the 60s and 70s. They just have a warmer sound, and better clarity than most of the new units, and cost peenies compared to the decent offerings out there.

back "in the day" Marantz had good stuff. So did vintage Fisher, Sansui, Kenwood, HK, and many others. I currently have an Onkyo TX-2500 in my office that sounds awesome with my bookself speakers.

Anyway, I vote vintage more often than not. The one thing you have to be prepared for, though, is the quirks of vintage receivers. If they were not well cared for, you will get that scratchy annoying noise in the knobs and switches. No digital tuner, so get ready to spin that dial - and no memory presets either.

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

NAD :bigthumb: