Need some speakers for my computer(which doubles as my tv)..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moloch, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Moloch

Moloch New Member

Would post it in the computer forum but I am not limiting my options to "pc speakers" and it doesnt make any difference since I can use the digital out on my soundcard..
    Anyway I dont need anything extravagant, just at least 3.1, it's for an apt. so it doesn't need to be really loud, just have pretty flat sound since I'll be listening to music with it as well and I'm used to (pretty flat) studio monitors.
    Budget- up to 400 bucks, again dont need anything huge (were talking a small apt.) I dont want it to sound like shit.
    It would be a plus if it could decode truHD/ DTS master audio for the bluray drive I am getting.

2. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

is this budget including a receiver or not?

3. Moloch

Moloch New Member

4. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

To be honest, I think you'd be best starting with a receiver and 2 bookshelfs. As money becomes available, add to it. Home theater equipment is going to capture more of a range than pc speakers. So while a sub may be nice, you can do without it for a little while.

I hear onkyo makes some excellent receivers at a low price. But you can also check out yamaha and pioneer. They've had some fairly solid gear for people on a budget.

I've done pretty well for myself getting my gear at the end of year sales when companies put up their new lines. Got a denon receiver for about $200 and a set of infinity bookshelfs for $49 a piece ($98 for the pair).

It's going to depend on what you really want/need.