need some recommendations (wireless network issue)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BiggDoggUNC, Dec 13, 2008.

1. BiggDoggUNC

BiggDoggUNC Show me a good loser... and I'll show you a loser.

I'm considering working up an internet bridge in my home, but I don't know if it's the best solution to my problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The issue I have is I have several items that need to connect through the internet but they are scattered around the house. My primary computer is in my office which is at one corner of the house with the router there. I have an xbox360, two directv HD-DVR boxes, and my wife's laptop that I'd like to all connect to the internet; some of which, like the laptop, are on the opposite end of the house and get poor reception. Should I install a wireless bridge near the middle of the house?
    I'm thinking if I do that, then install these Wireless Access Points for my DVRs and xbox, I should have a strong signal, and everything connects fine right?

I'm extremely green at wireless networking, so any flaws in what I posted, let me know and please post something that would work (or be more economical). Another thing is, if I have WEP enabled, how do you set up the Wireless Access points if they are connected to something other then a computer (like my DVRs for instance). Do I set them up on my computer first, then connect them? Anyways, thanks for reading all this shit and for any help.

cliffs:I want to connect a bunch of shit to the intrawebz wirelessly

2. BiggDoggUNC

nothing?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If it were my house, I'd run cable. A co-worker has a similar problem that he's tried to resolve with wireless bridges and something in the house makes for a shitty connection. Even in my condo, I've run cable where I can get away with it.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

+1 for wiring if it is a house. if you can't run wires to everything, maybe run a cable almost to the other side of the house and put up a separate wireless AP there.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You might be able to do it if you use Netgear ProSafe access points, or something comparable that has the ability to automatically select the best wireless channel and adjust broadcast strength to avoid interference. I have a ProSafe WAP in my office and I get 5/5 bars everywhere in the office -- until I walk out the door, and then it drops to 1 or 0, just like it should.

6. BiggDoggUNC

I knew it was the best way to go, but god it's going to be a PITA in some rooms. 3 drops will be against outer walls and the pitch of my roof and a stepped ceiling is a fucking BITCH.

7. BiggDoggUNC

May look into this, but if I have to drop a cable, I'm the king of guy that probably run them all.