Need some reccomedations

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Biomechanoid, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm about to finish paying off my current truck (99 ranger) in approximately 5 weeks, and am seriously considering selling the truck then and getting a full sized one.

styling doesn't matter all that much, but what I'm looking for is good MPG (for a truck. I like the 18 I'm getting with the ranger), extended cab as I haul a lot of computer parts around, and decent towing capacity (can haul a 25' fishing boat).

also, I'll probably have my budget capped at $18k unless I can get a spectaular payment option from a dealership.

what's good for reliablity and what not?

I've been hearing wonderful things about the titan, but my price range will probably have me buying a used truck. anyone have the pros and cons of the F150 Vs Silverado 1500 Vs Ram 1500 vs tundra?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  2. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

how did the usable bed size compare with the silverado and the F-150? my ranger's wheel wells get in the way more often than naught, and seem to reduce the usable width by about 2 feet when hauling large items (sofas, glass, plywood, etc.)

also along similar lines, how practically located are the tie hooks? (loops you tie your stuff down to). my ranger came with a bed liner (which is nice and I'll want one in my next truck) but the liner makes the hooks hard to get at when tying down whatever I'm hauling.

the small v8 in the F150, how well did that perform? the only real towing I do is my neighbor's boat (yes, I've risked the 25 footer in the ranger) about once a month as we'll swap gas costs/driving duty when we go fishing, so I'm sure that the small v8 would suit me fine.

also, is the diesel option worth it in the F150 and siverado? I live in a pretty backwoods area, so there's a diesel pump at pretty much every gas station, and with gas prices as they are, the cheaper cost of diesel seems that it might make the extra cost worth it after a while.

You said the extended cab of the F150 was pretty small. I do quite a bit of equipment hauling for LANs and like my extended cab for transporting servers, switches, etc. how much usable space would you say there was in your F150 vs the silverado? my ranger's usable space is about equal to the space I had in my old civic when there was a large woofer box in there.

3. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Diesels are not offered in the F150... You'l have to upgrade to the 3/4 ton trucks. I personally own a 3/4 ton dodge with a 6 speed cummins... I get about 20mpg with it. It has more power than anybody could ever use. I think its a real nice truck. Very nice inside, the seats are very comfortable. The truck it self is absolutely overbuilt and will last forever... its got a Dana 80 rear end, and Dana 60 front end. The front end is on coil springs where the Ford is on leafs. The coils tend to ride better.

I really feel that diesel is the way to go. Doesnt matter dodge, ford chevy... diesels just rule... But with all this truck you're getting comes a price... You arent going to be able to come close to a new diesel for 18k. You will have to go with a truck thats a few years old. Thats not a problem, cause the trucks will go 1million miles, but i dont know if you have your heart set on a new truck or not..

This is just my .02 cents... diesel is DEFINATELY the way to go, but it all comes down to you man... A brand new one could be anywhere from 35-45k.

4. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I pretty much figured I'd be going with a used truck, not too much past '00. I could have sworn that ford was offering the F150 with a diesel... or maybe it was something that they were planning on for '04. :confused:

but that's aside from the point.

does anyone have an opinion on the Titan? I know that HisXLNC rides nissan's sack, but from some of the reviews I've been reading, it's cheaper than the F150 and the 1500 GM series trucks, and performs better too. (granted a F2500 or a 2500 GM series would out perform tha titan, but the F150/1500's are usually less expensive than their bigger bretheren, and so I've been concentrating on those.