GUN Need some reading material/talking points for my wife who is uncomfortable around gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P-chan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. P-chan

P-chan New Member

She appreciates that I want to protect myself and our family, and she knows that I keep everything locked up and safe at home, but she "doesn't like" guns and "feels uncomfortable" around them.

I can hit her with facts and statistics all day, but what I really want to do is get her comfortable with the idea of carrying/practicing/etc.

Not that I want to necessarily have her carry, but be comfortable with me carrying, which I will be doing after my class next weekend and once I get the permit.....already have the MTAC :o

It's more an emotional thing, I think - with her, than a rational, logical thinking process.

2. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

hit her with the gun rather than facts.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

sign her up for a one-on-one 2 hour lesson with an instructor. If she's against it, ask her to please do it for you and if she is still uncomfortable after learning from an unbiased person who is trained in shooting/safety, then that's just how it's going to be and you have to respect her thoughts.

(you more than likely won't be able to do this yourself, as my wife IS into guns and it still took her to go do this, as it's hard to teach someone so close to you, yourself)

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:rofl::rofl:

5. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Die Hard movies?
    j/k

If you have friends that have wives/gf's that are not so skittish about guns, have her talk some to them, or do a double-date that includes (but is not only) going to a range or something. Get her a gun she can shoot very easily, like a .22 rifle. Always emphasize safety in everything you DO with and around guns- lead by example, and show her what you're doing (like when you're checking to make sure there's no round chambered, etc.).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  6. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Make a deal with her. Take her to the range in exchange for doing something she wants that you aren't crazy about.

7. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

8. P-chan

P-chan New Member

She's already agreed to go to the range with me and shoot, and in fact has asked me about it a couple times. We just haven't done it yet :o We're going out to my mom and dad's land today for a visit and we're going to shoot a bit while we're out there, so we'll see.

9. P-chan

P-chan New Member

This is nearly exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. :bowdown:

10. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I've read quite a bit from this site, it's fantastic. This should be a goddamn sticky. I'm sure most of us have some sort of person in their life who is uncomfortable around firearms, this site would be a benefit.

11. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

You are very welcome. My wife found that website when we first met. It's where I point most newbies and all females. Great info.

12. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

:bowrofl: Great first replies always get me...

That's how my g/f was...she didn't like the idea of me having guns or having guns at the house, but after slowly trickling news about incidents around town, she started to be more drawn to the idea. I took her out to the range and she really enjoyed herself.

Now I'm hoping to pick up a P22 to plink around but I've been having trouble finding one for sale FTF in MO. :wiggle::x:

13. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I have a GSG-5 and a XD9 SC - My dad has a .22 marlin also, so I'm going to try to get her started on that or the GSG-5. The GSG is pretty heavy so there should be nearly no recoil. Once she can make cans dance with the .22 I will have her shoot the XD9.

14. P-chan

P-chan New Member

One thing that will help this weekend at my mom+dads is that my little brother's girlfriend is there and she likes to shoot also - her myspace picture has her holding an ar-15 :rofl:

15. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

My wife likes to shoot but still isn't comfortable with having loaded guns in the house. Meh, she'll get used to it.

16. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Do you have kids? If so, how do you have your guns secured?

17. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

I do...

[​IMG]

and I don't secure them. They know it would be the end of them if they touch one of my guns without permission. They don't even touch their guns without permission.

But then again, the fact that they shoot means they're not even really curious about guns like a normal child would be.

18. wholefnshow

wholefnshow New Member

19. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

i forget the details but there was a story where a wife was opposed to her husband having guns...they had an armed break in...the husband was killed in front of her and she was raped...she ended up turning into a huge gun advocate.

20. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Real story? Link?

21. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

i dont remember the details, fusionz06 would know, hes the one that told me a while ago.

22. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I assume ID doesn't have any law holding you responsible for ensuring minors cannot access your guns?

Not trying to knock, a well-trained mancub is :bigthumb:, that's how I grew up.

23. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Nope.

24. P-chan

P-chan New Member

That's how I grew up too. His boys look pretty young though (not teens yet?) - the teenage years is when the temptation might strike the greatest to show off the guns to a friend/get emotional and take it from the house in anger/etc.....I would still keep the guns secured in a house with kids no matter how well trained they are.

If they're not going to touch them without permission anyway, what is a safe or at the very least, cable locks going to hurt? Just my 0.02 - it's his family.

25. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

holy crap another black...ish person :o:rofl: