Need some product recommendation

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by amill94, May 27, 2007.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey guys, I've been semi-detailing cars for a few years now. The reason I say semi is I never used a PC. I did everything by hand. Anyway, picked up a PC and I'm gonna get the Sonus pad bundle on autopia. I was hoping I could get some recommendations on some product. I already picked up the ONR for wash. I need a polish, wax/sealant now. My problem is the cars I have are light colored. My car is satin silver metalic and my g/f's car is a pearl white and you can see sparkles in the sun. Anyway, what products would bring these features out the best. I read a review that said teh chemical guys stuff brings out the metalic flakes in silver colors...which is what I want to do. I want the car, even though it's silver to have that "wet" look.

What can you guys recommend?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Reading the product recommendation sticky?

3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Semen, by the gallon.

4. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

chemical guys or poorboys polish then top it with klasse aio.. maybe some easy to use spray wax every week. thats what i do to my car but there are probably a lot more choices.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I picked up a few things. I got the Klasse all ine one polish, Klasse high gloss sealant glaze. I also picked up some poorbooys professional polish. I was a bit worried about the klasse aio b/c it says to apply it by hand. If I use the PC I'm assuming I'll get better results? I'll give these a shot and see how they turn out.

6. Scottwax

Use AIO by PC using a finishing pad, don't use too much either, 3 pea sized drops are enough per section.

Personally though, I think the www.jeffswerkstatt.com line kicks ass on Klasse...but then again, it is a much newer, nano-tech acrylic based system.

7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I got a question about using the PC. I read the faq in the machine polishing section on autopia. Still didn't answer all my questions. I saw a few different techniques regarding polishing paterns. Some people recommend a box outline then a figure 8 shape to fill it in, some work a cross pattern to fill in the area. I was planning on doing a 2x2' outline then just working left to right then right to left overlapping the last pass by 50%. Is this ok? Also, I read alot about being careful to not burn the paint and things like that. I plan on using the Sonus SFX pad kit I ordered. I am going to use the SFX-2 polishing pad for the AIO and the SFX-3 pad for the sealant. How fast should I move the PC? 5" inches a second or so? Last question is about edges. I should just do the edges by hand? How far away from the edge should I stop using the PC? Is it ok to use the PC on natural curves in a body panel even though the entire pad will not stay in contact with the panel?

Is there a link to any video tutorials online for using the PC? I read a ton of threads on autopia...and these are the remainder of my questions.

Thanks for any help.

8. Scottwax

You won't burn the paint with a PC and edges are not a problem, it isn't fixed high rpm rotation like a rotary. Read the detailing EDU, I believe I very specifically say how to use the PC.

9. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

does a pc spins at all or it just vibrates/orbits? i cant really tell..

10. Scottwax

Spins and oscillates at the same time, push down hard enough and it will oscillate but not spin.

11. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Received my order of products today. Here is what I will use to work on the exterior of my car this weekend.

[​IMG]

I figure I'll use the white sonus pad for the all in one...an the blue for the HG sealant.

The green bonet said it was good to use with the Klasse HG....should I give it a try or just use the blue pad?

I can't wait to try this ONR stuff the most.

12. Scottwax

Pad color doesn't mean shit since they aren't universal. Tell me the cut, not the color and I can advise you further.

13. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Yellow = Restore pad, can remove 1200 grit sanding marks. Agressive in excess of 700rpm rotary or 3000opm dual-action.

White = Enhance pad. Use with "swirl remover" machine polish formulas. Pad may be agressive in excess of 1000rpm rotary or 3500rpm dual-action. Work at slower machine speeds to prevent paint burns.

Blue = Final Polish Pad. Use to apple fine polishes, glazes and waxes. Pre-polymer foam allows pad to be used at higher speeds to achieve outstanding final gloss with low polish or wax residue (thin film).

Bonnets: Can be used after polishing to remove light polish residues. Good for removing single-step products like Klasse All in One. Can apply super thin layer of Klasse HG Glaze and other sealants that require a light coating for easy removal and best gloss.

Thats the info I found on the pads.

14. Scottwax

Apply SG by hand. Trust me on this one. Very thin, lightly work it into the paint, apply and remove a panel at a time. Don't let it sit there for a long time, it can be a real bitch to get off if you do, same if you glob it on.

15. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Ok sounds good.

Should I apply the all in one that way as well...or use the white polishing pad?

16. Scottwax

White pad is fine for AIO.

17. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

thanks for the help.

18. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

don't forget to post pics! :)

19. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I will even though I have a feeling it won't turn out that great. I want to do the car tomorrow...but it's going to rain in the afternoon so I don't know if it' worth having my car clean for half a day. We'll see.