MIL Need some opinions/advice from Marines about new mos change

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ooorah2111, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

I've been a E-3 for 2 years now and haven't gone to MOS school (don't ask). I am scheduled to go to armory school this summer, but after working in the armory for 2 years, I feel like it's not the right path for me. All the armorers I work with hate their jobs and keep telling me to do something else. The only reason why I signed up for this MOS in the beginning was because my recruiter lied to me and said this would just be a temporary mos. My original MOS of choice was military police. I now want to get back to it, and was wondering if there are any MPs out there, or Marines who know MPs. Good idea? Any advice? I am also thinking about going into the law enforcement field after college, which is another reason why I want to become a MP.

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Are you in the reserves or something?

I don't see how the fuck they can leave someone floating around for over two years and never have them go through MOS school.

3. Naygrow

Naygrow .

im an mp in iwakuni right now, 12 hour shifts ftl and since youll be the new guy youll most likely be coming in on your days off and working 90+ hour weeks.... i wish i had gone to a field unit =(

4. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

You're pretty much getting screwed on that deal.

5. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

Yah I'm in the reserves.

6. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I would avoid MP. I spent 5 months as a cop in the desert and it blew badly. I couldn't imagine doing that full time.

7. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

well im an mp and i enjoy it. as a reservest mp (not many MP reserve units i dont believe) youll most likely just be doing field stuff which isnt bad

8. Roshambo

Roshambo Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I haven't killed anyone.

I'm an MP as well. Been on Okinawa since May 2005. My parent unit is 3rd MLG (read field unit). I got to go on a humanitarian deployment to Indonesia that was awesome. After that, I got fapped to Base, and now I am doing garrison side.

Plan on 13+ hr days plus PT. If you are undermanned you will work 4-5 days a week. Everyone hates you, and they do not think of you as a Marine, more just "PMO".

As a patrolman you ride/drive around. You are the little bitch and go to the calls, some bullshit like barking dogs.. or domestics. My first call was a domestic. ;)

As Desk Sgt you are an over glorified phone watch. You write the reports after the unit comes back with the paperwork. You'll also try to find working myspace proxies, and play games.

Watch commander (my current billet) means you supervise, make sure the daily duties are being carried out, and if there is a call the road unit can not handle you go out there. Other than that, you sit in your office.

I picked this MOS because I wanted to get K9 and I figured the experience would transfer over well to civ world. Which it does.. a friend of mine just EAS'd two weeks ago...already has a job lined up working for the Seattle PD, starts at $55k/year.

That being said.. I would probably like this MOS more if I had more days off. Oh well.. overtime chits take care of that problem!! :naughty:

9. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

Is it true that if you get deployed to Iraq, you are just a infantryman with a badge?

10. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

No. As a field MP, you pretty much have no authority, its just another job in a sense. When I was deployed to Iraq, my job was EOD security. Whenever somebody found an IED or UXO or something of that nature, we would convoy out and provide security for EOD as they took care of the problem. You can however do garrison work while deployed. We had MP's go to Al Asad and to MP work there. Just depends on your unit and mission