Need Some Opinion on my Site Please :)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZeroBomb, Apr 16, 2005.

1. ZeroBomb

ZeroBomb New Member

Hey guys,

I recently relaunched my website, SevenBit, about 2 weeks ago.

I spent a LOT of time on it, and hopefully you'll tell from the design.

Please check it out here:

http://www.sevenbit.ws

Tell me what you like about the Flash, and where I need improvement. It's been up for about 2 weeks, and it's mainly focused on the forums.

I just need to know from other users where I should approve, since not a whole lot of people have seen the site yet.

Please comment and suggest,

2. teh professor

teh professor

I'm a big fan of simple, simple, simple, so I'm prolly not the guy to critique a site like yours. It looks very impressive and everything, but there're a couple things I don't care for:

-I'm not big on flash intro's. Just give me the goods. Plus it seems your whole intro is devoted to telling me how good your site is before I even look at it. Then when I click to enter, the first thing I see is you begging for money to help with hosting. Dude, hosting is like $5/month, unless you get a lot of traffic, which you just said you're not.

-each forum page is about 320kb altogether, just for layout. Not too big a deal for my cable connection, but dialup users might find the load time a bit much. That's the price you pay for an image intense site. I do find it makes the scrolling a bit jerky. Don't get me wrong, I love pics, but not for layout. I prefer good old CSS for that. This will also increase your costs for bandwidth.

-each post is at least 300 pixels high, with all the borders and stuff, even though many posts consist of a single word or two. That's a lot of scrolling to read a thread with very little content (and small font, to boot). I would cut down on the
    stuff, as it's all available for viewing in the profiles anyway. But that's just me.

-your images folder is accessible to everyone (http://www.sevenbit.ws/images), might want to fix that. Or not, if you don't care that people can browse your directories.

You've put a lot of work into the design, and I'm not knocking it. It does look really good, in fact beyond my own capabilities, but I go more for practicality than appearance, although a balance is definitely good. That's just my opinion, and I'm a simple guy, so I'm sure you'll find plenty who would disagree with me.

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

i like it very much, good work. My only negative is the font size.

4. ZeroBomb

ZeroBomb New Member

Hmm thanks for the comments guys.

@teh professor - What's a good way to make my directories unviewable to others?

5. teh professor

teh professor

Simplest way is to put an index.htm in the directory. You can also do it with .htaccess, or maybe your webhost has an option in the control panel for it.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

It looks pretty badass.

7. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

The flash intro is still loading for me... too slow.

"Meet new and interesting people" reminds me of "and kill them" slogan for the Army joke t-shirts. Not a good tag line, IMO!

What does your site do? The Flash header is still loading as well. Statistics point out that you have just 8 seconds to get someone's attention on your web site. Now that your header has loaded, I still cannot tell what your site is about.

Your home page does not have a hard coded link to your index, so how do search engines get in to spider your content?

Huh?

While the site LOOKS great, you have a lot of jargon, useless information, and nothing that even remotely looks like content. If you are going to attract users, you need something they want to see, contribute to, or buy.

I would not return to your site again due to lack of content.

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I would, due to coolness. :cool:

9. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i would make the info next to the post either a smaller text, or cut stuff from them like member number.
    make the font bigger on the main pages.
    Other than that, the flash shit on the other pages kick ass, i'm not too big on animated intro's so i didn't even watch it. i think a splash intro is the way to go, like here on OT