MMA Need some of that valuable Cage advice...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GreatDeceiver, Oct 17, 2007.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

I'm thinking about jumping into training after years of being broke and with no spare time. My main prospect is a gym in Columbus associated with Jorge Gurgel (IMB Academy). They seem to have a solid MT program as well as quality BJJ. They also offer Sub Grappling, which is more takedown/wrestling than technical BJJ and no gi.

Though I'd love to delve into the world of BJJ I'm still pretty poor so purchasing a gi is a big issue for me and from the discussions recently around here I definitely don't think I can handle a decent one. One of the coaches that I contacted at the gym said that I would progress much slower in Sub Grappling than I would in BJJ but the Sub Grappling program seems a better fit for me.

So what do you guys think? I'd hate to waste my time with sub grappling but I also have no idea what to do about BJJ and buying a gi. I'm not trying to become the next Ultimate Fighter, just get in shape and develop a better understanding of the game I love to watch so much. If you had to pick one, which program would it be in my situation?

IBallthatshitbyme.jpg

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It costs more to be apart of all 3 programs? Or does one price get you MT, BJJ, and Sub Grappling? Of the three choices you bring up I'd choose BJJ. I don't see why BJJ is that much different than no gi for them though.

Ask the gym if you can get a deal through them on a cheap, but quality gi. Other cheap and quality gi's are Howards (HCK), and Fuji... that I've read about lately.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

if you can afford to pay for training, you can save up and get a gi. save up for the gi before you start training or something man. don't go out and party for a while, do what it takes.

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

If you can't afford a 50-80 dollar gi, maybe you should re-evaluate training in the first place. Most gyms are at least 75 dollars a month, and if you're budgeted down that tight, you maybe should be saving your money for a rainy day instead.

Just my .02 on it.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Honestly, aren't most gyms atleast $100 a month now? :hs:

6. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

No idea. I pay 75 for minez, but I train under 2 brown belts.

7. miek

miek New Member

at least. some people's gyms on here ~250

8. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Every one that I've looked at is at least ~$150 and I have to sign at least a one year contract :hs:

9. miek

miek New Member

Shitty, mine's 89 and it's pay per month :hs:

10. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

It's the contract bullshit that gets me. I don't want to have to commit to a gym for a fucking year just so that I can find out that I'm bored or no longer able to go after a few months. My brilliant wife and my even more brilliant sister in law signed up for a 3 YEAR contract at Bally's without telling me or my brother. No more gym contracts of any kind for me.

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

A gi is usually the same cost as one month of training, maybe just a tad more.
    And ultimate fighters don't wear gi's
    :squint:

I don't see your exact problem here...

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I know you were probably being sarcastic but I was interested in finding pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  13. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Save up buy Gi then start BJJ

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

fuck the gi shit. wearing a gi is so fucking stupid unless you're a 12th centruy japenese dude or something. i'm so glad i train in a place that isn't gay as hell wearing gi's like you're bruce lee or something, rash guard and board shorts ftw

15. Al_Kayduh

Al_Kayduh Guest

whatever your goals are man, you'll find a fit pogram for you

16. kroneX

kroneX New Member

when you grow up do you wanna be a eddie bravo clone?

gi and no gi both have their strengths, do what you enjoy and like and if your opinion isnt helpful then dont mention it at all, or at the very least put it in a helpful construct and format.

17. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:rofl:
    Nice find with that fedor gi coat pic.

Yeah it was just a sarcastic remark since I didn't get threadstarters remark about a gi having anything to do with being an ultimate fighter. MOST mma fighters nowadays don't even bother with a gi when training jits.
    However if he want to learn about this sport that he says he loves, he's gonna really want to get a gi. Bjj is so much more technical and deliberate with a gi on.

18. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Way to respect the sport you're trying to learn.
    :rolleyes:

19. kroneX

kroneX New Member

the gi is there as a grips and handles, its got nothing to do with being a 12th
    japanese dude. Its an aide nothing more, no gi is just taking away that aide and using grips like clinches and hooks rather than grips

20. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I got that video here somewhere actually.

21. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

RIGHT ON

22. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

My remark about being an ultimate fighter was just to say that I don't know how long or in depth I will go into BJJ, I've got another year of school and then for all I know I may not have the time or funds to train again for a while, and from what I gather BJJ is very detail-oriented and takes alot of time investment.

The cost for MT and BJJ is about 75 per month, but if I were to take 3, MT, BJJ, and sub grappling it would run at around 120. $75 is really at my limits as to what I have left over a month. Normally I'd party it away but this seems like a better cause. The problem lies in throwing down another hundred right away to train an art that I may not end up being into long-term.

Anyway thanks for the insight, it seems like you guys feel that BJJ is worth the investment. I guess we'll see on Monday.

23. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Training is addicting.
    You're just torturing yourself by only going for a month and not allowing yourself to commit long term.
    You're better off buying a 12pk of natty light and some DVDs to cross train with.