Need some new headphones

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Musouka, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Musouka

Musouka New Member

So, my headphones just broke (right side is really muffled, but isn't with my cheap labtec [LOL] backup) and I need some new ones. I was using Sennheiser for a long time, loved my HD555's (stolen at a LAN :squint:) and HD212 Pros which lasted for around 4 years before finally dieing. I decided to experiment with some in-ear phones and while I did like the noise-canceling, these things died in about 2 months. :squint:

So, I'm in the market for some Sub $100 headphones. I think I'll stick with the regular over your head headphones for now. I'll be using these with my computer audio, xbox audio, and possibly iPod so I don't have high-end stuff. I used to game a LOT, but I've cut down recently, but I still play 360 quite a bit but I tend to watch a lot more movies/TV shows and listen to music now so ultra surround sound isn't as important as straight audio quality. I don't care if they're open or closed cans but I would like them to leak as little sound as possible so as not to disturb other people. Also, they need to be DURABLE. I'm thinking Sennheiser again since they've been so good to me in the past unless there's another brand that has some durable phones. :x:

2. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i think the hd25's are good from them, i have technics rpdh's (i think) and i love those, theyre supposed to be DJ headphones but theyve become my main headphones after i sold my turntables

3. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

At $100, the Sennheiser HD280Pro's are gonna be hard to beat, but they won't do so hot on an iPod due to the 64ohm resistance.

4. nur23

nur23 OT Supporter

^ How well will the sennheiser HD280 Pro fare on a laptop(in terms of its 64 ohm resistance)? I'm thinking of getting those myself.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

Can't call it. Take your laptop in to Guitar Center and listen to them and decide for yourself

6. squid

squid braap

7. dan7532

dan7532 New Member

If you don't mind open headphones, I fully support Grado SR-80s. They are by far the clearest sounding audio devices I have ever experienced.

But that's just my opinion. Keep this in mind:

8. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

if they are un amped he is better off going with the sr-60's, the 80's really need to have an amp to get their full potential

9. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

on an ipod they fair pretty well, just squeak by without being amped, they gain some from being amped but not a ton.

the big benefit of the hd280 is that they are closed headphones so you cant hear anything and they dont need to be as loud as such.

on a laptop will depend on how powerful the laptop is, it will probably be a little more powerful then an ipod and give you a little bit better of sound.

i have a pair that i use on my ipod occasionally and they definantly get by, the sound better amped, but not so much that i wouldnt use them without an amp

10. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

+1

I use my pair for everything from casual listening to studio work. Love those headphones.