GUN Need some level-headed opinions *ARFCOM CCW*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dpixel8, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Was reading a post in the arfcom hometown forums:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=314494&page=1

Basically, they are saying they carry illegally because they have a right to protect themselves.

I am all for CCW (we're one of 2 states left that DON'T have it) but still, I don't carry because I'd rather not get in trouble for it. :dunno:

what do you guys think?

Here's a couple quotes too (obviously with the usual amazing arfcom spelling and grammar :o)

2. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Call me crazy, but I agree. The constant protection of your family is your duty, not that of the police.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

really?? fuck. I've been not carrying this whole time because I don't want to get into trouble. Maybe I should start. :rofl:

4. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

:x:

To some, the risks outweigh the potential benefit.

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I just posted a question in there. I just always thought it was a felony, or they could seize my guns. :hs:

6. Hooch

Hooch New Member

The only thing a CCW gives you is the right for the ATF to raid your house at any given time, it's much like having a class 3.

7. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Depends on the local laws. It's a misdemeanor in CA if caught illegally concealing a firearm that is registered to you. Of course, a CA DA could no doubt find some creative way to change that into a felony.

8. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

i'd like to stay a law abiding citizen, while protecting my wife and my life.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Say what now?

Anyway I think its fairly dumb to boast about doing that is likely a felony for the world to see. It both makes gun owners look bad and of course invites potential trouble down the road for you. Ultimately you have to weigh your own risks and decide, it sucks but thats the way it is. Personally I think you're more likely to wind up taking an ambulance ride and getting your gun found by an emt than actually needing it so I don't consider it a good risk for most but ymmv.

Sorry, not in Wisconsin.

10. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I don't advocate breaking any laws, but many people will do what they feel best assures their safety.

11. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

it's not me. and yeah, was going to say about the felony. IS it a felony in WI, or just in IL?

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

*nod*

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't know Wisconsin law, I'm certain you can find your state's laws online. It would be good for you to learn how to find/use/read that system anyway so you don't just have to trust random tards on the intarweb to know what they're talking about. In Illinois you would be charged with Unlawful Use of Weapons and it carries a whole range of penalties depending on the conditions of how you were found at the time.

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

yeah, I'd plan on looking it up anyways, as well as taking a CCW class as well before I would even think about doing it. Just was curious on what everyone's opinions were regarding the legality of it.

EDIT: 941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.

15. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

His argument is that having a class 3 ffl (C&R License) or CCW is I big red flag telling the government "I have lots of guns." Actually being raided is not likely, but knowing the ATF it could happen.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

An 03 sot is different than an 03 ffl, but terminology aside the claim that having a ccw makes one a raid target is a statement worthy of majority ownership in the reynolds aluminum foil company.

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:rofl:

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Fwiw in Illinois a class A misdemeanor in IL can include a year in jail, 10k in fines, and court costs. Even if you avoid a full jail sentence, you'll get to spend some time in jail, enjoy a strip search, fingerprints, getting bonded out, and several court appearances.

Its one thing to talk a tough game of "better be judged by..." on the internet but its another when a car wreck put you in the ambulance and you really have to face all these fun things.

19. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

very valid points as well.

20. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

In GA, the two code sections that one would break by carrying, generally, without a license are misdemeanors.

However, without the license, certain areas that one might enter are off limits with felony penalties.

Judged by 12, carried by 6…your choice.

I, for one, also believe that self defense, and by extension CCW, are basic human rights that “shall not be infringed.” Being required to apply, be checked out, pay a fee, get training, and carry a paper license have clearly degraded that right into a privilege.

I wouldn’t fault anyone for choosing the civil disobedience route of unlicensed carry.

I’m a pussy, so I got a license.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

If you are legally able to within your state, but do not do so because it is either inconvenient or against your moral character, you are an idiot.

You have to keep in mind the legal ramifications and the affects to your own family after the fact.

With that said, I'm not sure what I would do in a state that does not issue and sympathize for those that chose to live in that type of envoirnment.

22. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

scrolled down to post this.

23. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

:amen:

24. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I think we will see Illinois' policy on CCW change soon, hopefully.

25. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I agree, and then also disagree. Get caught, and you'll never carry a gun even if they do pass a law that allows it.