A&P Need some lens help for African safari

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mutombo, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I'll be going to South Africa in Nov-Dec and will be spending a few days on a safari in Kruger, and I need a lens with some more reach (Nikon mount). The 70-200vr is just not going to be long enough, even with a tc if I were to pick up a 1.7x.

I've narrowed it down to the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) and the Sigma 150-500 (Bigmos). I'm not considering the 80-400 nikon because I'm not impressed with the optics, the focus is slow, it's due to be replaced, and it's $1600.

Has anybody had any experience with either of these two lenses? I'll likely be using a monopod or a bean bag for stabilization, so image stabilization (OS on the 150-500) isn't a necessity, but I'm curious to hear from people who have used it if it is effective.

I'll also be buying a Canon 100-400L for my fiancee, for whatever it's worth.

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

why a zoom? in the nature shows they seem to get pretty close to the animals, just a few meters

3. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I'm not going to be on a nature show. Everything I've read about people being on safaris, the general consensus is that you can never have too much reach.

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

still what i would do is rent a 400 prime and bring a shorter lens for the rest

5. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

go with a bigma. if you have a monopod. Bigmos for no monopod.

for the price of renting a 500 f4, you could probably own either of the two lenses stated.

6. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

we were in kruger last year for a while. you'll have a great fucking time.

we stayed at Sabi Sabi. where are you staying?

i used the 100-400 90% of the time. You'll get REALLY fucking close to the animals, too. 10-22 was great for morning landscapes, and the 24-70 got everything else.

wish i woudl have brought two bodies - one for the 100-400, and one for the 24-70, since animals get really close pretty quick.

had a 1.4tc as well, but didn't use it very often.

dont' bother with a monopod. you won't use it in the land cruisers. beanbag might come in handy. i had all 3 with me (tripod, monopod, beanbag), and only used the beanbag a couple of times.

we went in may last year, which is their winter. it was fucking FREEEEZING at night.

i'll load some of my pics when flickr decides to quit being a bitch

7. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

have something in the 24-70-ish range, and something long. you'll get -really- close.

8. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Thanks, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll have the 14-24 and a 50 with me, debating on the 70-200 but probably won't bring it. I've also thought of picking up a D300 just for the trip (and selling it after) but we'll see.

We are also staying in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve at a place called Arathusa. It's supposed to have some of the best game viewing in all of Kruger Park.

The more I read up, the more I'm leaning towards the 150-500 because of the OS, which will come in handy in a crowded jeep. The 50-500 would be nice for those times when the animals come up really close though.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  9. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

we got a lot closer than this
    [​IMG]

rhinos drop some seriously nasty smelling dookie
    [​IMG]

@400mm. sure wish i had a bit more
    [​IMG]

100% crop
    [​IMG]

awesome bokeh on the 100-400
    [​IMG]

you'll see a fuckton of lions
    [​IMG]

you've never seen these kinds of sunsets. once the sun is down, you'll see stars from horizon to horizon. absolutely amazing.
    [​IMG]

that my wife
    [​IMG]

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

you could always buy a lens here, and setup a meeting with someone down there to sell it to them. they'd pay more than you paid, and they'd still get a fantastic deal.

you'll have an absolute blast. i really want to go back again

11. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Sweet pictures! I seriously can't wait. The leopard shot is great.

12. Pikel

Pikel New Member

I can't really help you, but I went there too. You will appreciate any zoom you can get.

[​IMG]