need some kickdown cable help

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Burrito10, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

so i put a new kickdown cable on my small block 350 but there are some problems. the car doesn't want to shift, it will rev all the way up to 4000 RPMs before it shifts, and even then it shifts hard. after it shifts i can play with the throttle and there is no response, it just revvs until i press the throttle to 4000 RPMS then it catches.

this did not occur before i put the new cable on. so i dont think the tranny is having problems. any ideas?

2. Disco Dave

Disco Dave Slightly above lurker status....

Sounds like the cable is too short or adjusted incorrectly. The late 80s and up V8s with throttle body have that annoying 'self adjusting' cable, where you are supposed to be able to adjust it by jamming the pedal to the floor (car off, of course). The one on my truck will not self adjust, so I'd suggest if you don't have this (or it don't work), open the throttle all the way (again, car OFF) and adjust the cable accordingly.

3. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

should the cable be tight? i checked it and its really loose, as in, not even engaging when i press the gas... it has alot of slack..

4. Disco Dave

Disco Dave Slightly above lurker status....

If it's really loose all the time, trhen it is possible it is jammed/stuck in the fully pulled position. Some cars you can unbolt it with a little bolt at the transmission (maybe 5/16") and remove it, but I don't know enough about it there to know what to look for once it is off.