A&P Need some input..pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by amill94, Jan 20, 2008.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey guys,

I was reading up about how to use my XTi and was playing with some of the settings. I really know nothing about photography but have been reading the past few days. I took these two pics using Aperture and shutter priority. I'm sure they are pretty meh to you guys, but I have mabye a 10% understanding of this camera so far.

The first one came out alright, but I think the second one is too dark. I have the exif data on the page too. Can you guys give me some constructive input on how to improve the pictures. All I did was resize them using the Canon software...I have no idea how to edit images to make them look better, so I didn't mess with them at all.

[​IMG]

Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Focal Length: 30 mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
    Flash: Flash did not fire

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
    X-Resolution: 72 dpi
    Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
    Software: Digital Photo Professional
    Date and Time: 2008:01:20 13:07:16
    YCbCr Positioning: Centered
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority

[​IMG]

Exposure: 1/3200 sec
    Aperture: f/3.5
    Focal Length: 18 mm
    ISO Speed: 400
    Exposure Bias: 1/3 EV
    Flash: Flash did not fire

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
    X-Resolution: 72 dpi
    Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
    Software: Digital Photo Professional
    Date and Time: 2008:01:20 13:13:48
    YCbCr Positioning: Centered
    Exposure Program: Shutter priority

I also ordered the Canon 50mm f1/8 lens from Amazon. Will be here on Tuesday, so hopefully it will give me a sharper image.

2. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

in for rule of thirds tutorial :wavey:

I think they look good for only just learning, you've got the cam pretty much figured out it looks like. Now it's just a matter of learning the finer points of photography such as focusing on the entire subject (#1 looks a little soft around the ears and wiskers) you should take it into a post processing program and see if you can beef these two up a little :bigthumb:

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I'm confused on this fstop thing. I've read about it 20 times and I still can't get it. I realize the smaller the number the larger the opening, thus letting in more light. But I want a larger fstop number to get a narrower depth of field, or is it the other way around? The other thing that I'm not understanding is my kit lens says it's 1:3.5-5.6, but why does the it range from F3.5 to F22, shouldn't it range from 3.5-5.6?

4. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Smaller number fstop means less in focus, easy as that. The 50mm 1.8 will certainly help you with your indoor and low depth of field shots. This website will help you calculate the depth of field.
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

At 18mm it will have a maximum aperture of 3.5, but at 55mm it will have an maximum aperture of 5.6, they both will still go up to f22.