Need some input on my new routine...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by squintypanda, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squintypanda

squintypanda New Member

I recently changed up my routine since I wasn't really seeing any gains from doing full-body workouts every time I hit the gym. (I figure it was because I wasn't working each muscle group enough each time). My current routine looks like this:

Day 1: (Chest/Triceps/Some Legs)

Flat Bench 5x5
    Incline Bench 5x5
    Standing Military Press 5x5
    Back Squat 5x5
    Pec-Fly 5x5
    Tricep Cable Pushdown 5x5

Day 2:

Some sort of cardio for 35 minutes

Day 3: (Back/Biceps/Legs)

Pull-ups: I do 25 reps total, resting 60 seconds whenever I need to. (I suck at these :hs:)
    Cable Front Pulldown 5x5
    Cable Seated Row 5x5
    Back Squat 5x5
    Dead Lift 5x5
    Some type of Curl(Hammer, EZ-bar, etc) 5x5
    Calf Raise 5x5

Day 4:

35 minutes of cardio

Day5: Repeat........

I actually feel sore again after workouts which makes me feel like I'm actually doing some work. Am I missing anything major with this routine? Any advice/suggestion is appreciated... :) BTW I'm pretty new to this weight lifting stuff, been a fat ass pretty much all my life 5'6" 220lbs at my heaviest(about 2 years ago), never really exercised.. Now I'm at ~150lbs... my goal is to keep lifting, get leaner and stronger... :x:

2. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

should we assume that you are only able to lift 2x a week?

3x would really be a bit more ideal. Looks like you are covering all the major bases.

3. Drewski

Drewski New Member

day 5 would star the routine over again, so it would be 4x a week one week, 3x a week the next, etc

whats you're primary goal? strength, size?

4. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

oops. my bad. didn't read carefully enough.

I would seperate your big compounds lifts into days.

I find chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders works well for me. I really can't imagine doing squats after my chest routine, especially with a 5x5.

5. squintypanda

squintypanda New Member

Yeah, I don't really go by weeks, just lift, cardio, lift, cardio, etc.... and use a cardio day to rest if I feel burnt out. My goal is to get bigger/stronger while losing bf which from what I've read is almost impossible. But I'm hoping newbie gains still apply since I'm relatively new at this stuff. If I HAD to choose between getting stronger and getting leaner though, I'd have to go with getting leaner first for now since my stomach area is pretty flabby from being fat most of my life. Would like to get down to single digits BF eventually and see if the skin there tightens up a bit. :hs:

Couple random questions:

Does it matter what kind of carbs I consume post-workout along with protein shake? I usually eat a banana, wheat bread, or a sweet potato (just depends on what I have at home to bring that day).

When I do standing Military Press, I feel like I'm arching/stressing my lower back a little. Does this mean I should lower the weight or is it okay as long as I can pump out the reps (no pain or anything).

Should I throw some core exercises in there(situps, leg raises) or do the compound lifts like back squat work the core already?

Thanks for the inputs and stuff... :)

6. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

This routine is not good, get on either the bill star program or purs routine. you don't really have enough experience to make stuff up yourself.

7. Drewski

Drewski New Member

well, being a newb, you'll be more likely to see strength gains as it isn't just tied to muscle size, its tied to how efficiently the neurons that control your muscles work together. so on a caloric deficit diet and a 5x5 like that, you might see some good returns in both area's, at least in your newb period.

since you'd be dieting, you'll get tired more quickly, so you'd be pretty beat by the time you hit squats for instance, and the lift wouldn't be as beneficial. I saw good results on the modified bill star routine, aka Christopher's routine (search in here), which would be my suggestion since 9 times out of 10, an established routine will show more results than one you set up for yourself. The other option would be a 3 day split. either set up as a a body part split, legs. back/tri or bi and chest/tri or bi (whichever you didnt' do on back day), or full body, starting each day with one of the big 3, squat, deadlift and bench.

8. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Do them sitting one of the chair-looking benches and don't arc your back.

9. dave.b.gtt

dave.b.gtt New Member

hold your abs tighter

10. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

11. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

the bill starr is great if you've never done it before. definitely would recommend it. it gets boring though. but i wouldn't switch away from it until you start stalling on your progress. you should be able to increase the weight of your final set on each lift by about 5 pounds or more. i was on the program for about 3 months i think. my numbers went up pretty fast.

it seems your new routine is a push pull, and there are LOTS of compounds on it. that might be too taxing, but i'm sort of doing the same. i'd also do deadlifts and squats before anything else.

12. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

what is it that you're trying to do? a full body workout twice a week?

13. squintypanda

squintypanda New Member

A main reason why I've basically setup my program to a two-day split is because I start school pretty soon where I have to live on campus. Won't be able to goto the gym except for the weekends. So I was thinking lift Friday, cardio on Sat, lift again on Sunday, then back to school where I can do some cardio and bodyweight stuff (pushups, pullups, situps, etc)....

14. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

If your worried about working out conflicting with your school schedule, your should check out this link.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459274

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.