Need some info on JL subs...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vtec1994, Oct 15, 2002.

1. vtec1994

vtec1994 It always rains at Le Mans

How good are the new W7's??? and how much would a pair of 12w7's run me???

2. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

They suck, too much.

No seriously, they are overrated, they are good sounding subs, but not for the insane amount you have to pay for them.

I think Car Audio and Electronics said it best with something along the lines of: "it's like buying a Porsche, you can get the same performance for much less, but you can say that you have a Porsche.

Go for the IDMAX, better woofer all around, and it costs a good bit less.

3. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

You picked the wrong board to ask this question. It'd be like walking into an Al-Qaeda training camp and asking for an unbiased opinion on Americans. Riiiiiiiight

The W7 is arguably one of the best subs ever made. However, you have to ask yourself if the price tag is worth it. IMO, nah. No thanks. Check out the Adire Audio Brahma. It's the new Xmax king (yes even more than this board's beloved IDMax :rolleyes: ) and said to have a relatively flat BL curve (major selling points).

You can check it out here: http://www.adireaudio.com/car_audio/drivers/brahma_series.htm

Also costs a good deal less than both the W7 and IDMax.

4. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

awwww im so proud of you but have you looked at the BL curve of the max against the adire? The max has a flatter one the adire has a small dip in the middle where as the id max doesnt.. weird ;) and as far as xmax once you get to only a few MM difference the audible differences arent noticable it more or less comes down to the install etc. Also just for fun.. have you even played with the new id max v.3? its a little better ;) well maybe alot but play with one before you make any more judgements and also as far as price goes depending on where you go you can get a max for less than the brahma

oh and you can always push the xmax point but ill push this

the brahma has 436cm of cone where as the max has 545cm look MORE CONE AREA ;) and they are both 12s so technically if you figured out your whole xmax x sd etc the id max could have equal if not more output to the brahma due to lack of cone area.. sigh :o

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

jsut a question waht the hell is the picture on the brahma?

6. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Uh...okay. Great.:ugh2: Exactly what judgements did I make? Answer...absolutely none. The only thing I said was that the W7 is arguably one of the finest drivers made. I then simply pointed out that the Brahma has more xmax and comparable power handling (read: comparable performance) for less money. Which, I must add, is completely true. The differences will be negligable and it'll probably come down to install like you said.

As far as the BL curves, care to show me one of the IDMax? Apparently that isn't available to the general public. Also, on ID's site, it quotes two different numbers for the Max's XMAX figures. One says 24.6 and the other 24.9. WHich is it? Or is it neither of them and the real number is still to be determined?

Suggestion, don't let your bias cloud any hopes of holding a rational discussion.

flynfrog, the picture is supposed to be a bull. :dunno:

7. 04

04 Guest

Do you guys have Dumax sheets of both drivers, I cant find one for the IDMAX...

The problem I see with the SD comparision is that companies rate the sd differently. Some companies rate SD as the cone + 1/2 the surround, and others rate it as JUST SD, and some rate it as cone + 1/3 surround. This makes it difficult for an accurate comparision.

As always, the install will most certainly make the difference in output between the IDMAX and the Brahma.

FWIW, I agree with BobG in that consumer comparisons in car audio are WAAYYYY too biased, and this forum is not immune from this....

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

[​IMG]how do you get a bull out of that

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

looks like a sheep waering acape standing on its hind legs behind a bugeyed dog

10. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

LOL. Dude, I have no clue. Dan said it was a bull. So I guess it's a bull.

Brahma is a hindu god that is believed created the universe. This website http://www.indiancultureonline.com/Mystica/html/brahma.htm says:
    I don't see any mention of a bull there. :confused:

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

still dotn get it but meh i got a max i can read tell whats on the cone :p

12. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

ill get you a copy

btw ive seen these sheets in person. i was AT image dynamics about 2 weeks ago playing with the new id max and even looked up and printer adires site and did all sorts of neat comparisons.. ill show you soon :)

and im not arguing with the whole xmax and power handling. The way you word it you are trying to make everyone think that its 10x better. Also the new id max has a few new heat disipation technics that are rather cool. I have a V3 id max sitting next to me as i type. Its a rather cool driver. Also if you do a search ive stated the W7 is a good driver but it costs way too much.

13. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

ID doesnt use the surround as part of the cone.. cough JL w7 cough

I AM BIASED.. ive never denied it so :fawk:

14. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

That would be key. ID has never been quick to get that info out to the public. Heck I don't think the DUMAX sheet for the original MAX has even been released yet.
    You read far too much into it. Read what was said, not what you think I might be trying to say.
    Hopefully I'll get to hear one at Finals.

15. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

i had the original id max dumax sheet in my hand and honestly there was nothing wrong with it.. i think you should email the owner of dumax and ask him what % off all of the specs that his machine says can be. meaning if it says such and such spec what % can that be up or down.. you may be surprised

sorry i read into everything too much

im 99% sure youll hear a few at finals i know they were busting ass to get some competitors some of them

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:wavey: want me to compete :naughty:

17. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Well Jason Winslow said he'd have one by Finals but last I heard he still didn't have it in his hands. This was a couple days ago so I dunno.

Are you gonna be there?

18. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

im too busy with my home audio company to be flying to finals etc..

but more than sure hell have his max soon.. I watched tons of them being shipped out..

I just threw mine in my HT room for fun.. i love this fricken sub