Need some ideas on detailing this truck

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by RyRy, Jul 29, 2006.

1. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

1981 Chevy 3/4 ton Re-painted in 86 or 87 and the hood doesn't shine as well as it used too, it looks dull compared to the rest of the truck. This is my plan...

Wash
    Clean up engine bay with Simple Green
    re-rinse (wash if needed ) entire vehicle
    chamois
    Meguiars Clay Bar

Now here's where I'm stumped. Should I

Polish with Liquid Glass then top off with a coat of Meguiars Gold Class Polish Wax (or Yellow Wax if I have any left)

Meguiars 3-Step

2-3 coats of GM Goodwrench Cleaner Wax and 2 coats of either Nufinish Polish (the stuff in the Orange bottle says it last a year :dunno:) or Meguiars Gold Class.

I will be doing all this by hand and it has to be finished by Monday at noon and I just plan on doing it a bit at a time as Dad isn't leaving on vacation until Tuesday and it's like 100 degrees here, unless I put the window a/c unit back in the window of the barn.

2. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

If pictures would help I could take some, they won't be to huge as I'm on dial up :sad2: Cheap ass father, FTL.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honestly, you are probably going to have to do a lot of polishing. See the detailing EDU for recommendations and the removing swirls by hand sticky. Once the paint is polished out, the wax or sealant you use won't make a huge difference so focus on the polishing.

4. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Thanks :h5: Once I get back from the hospital tomorrow afternoon this truck is my main project of the day. And Dad's truck has no swirls :eek3: I must be good or something :noes: ibScottwaxsaysIsuck I was just going to throw the wax on incase for some reason he gets the truck out this winter. Truck gets an average of 2730 miles per year so it only gets one big detail per year and it's always in July or first day of August since it gets most of its miles pulling campers or horse trailers from Aug to Oct.